Are you investing in the right people?
Many people know the benefit of finding a sponsor--someone who goes beyond traditional mentorship to partner with a junior-level employee to help build their skills, advocate for them when opportunities arise, and open doors. But few realize that being a sponsor is just as important to career growth as finding one.
According to new research from economist and thought leader Sylvia Ann Hewlett, senior executives who sponsor rising talent are 53 percent more likely to be promoted than those who don't. Similarly, middle-level managers who have proteges are 167 percent more likely to be given stretch assignments. Well-chosen proteges contribute stellar performance, steadfast loyalty, and capabilities that you, the sponsor, may lack, thus increasing how fast and how far you can go.
But how do you find standout proteges, let alone develop them so that they're able to come through for you and your organization?
This book has the answers you need. Combining powerful new data and rich examples drawn from in-depth interviews with leaders from companies such as Unilever, Aetna, Blizzard Entertainment, and EY, The Sponsor Effect provides a seven-step playbook for how you can become a successful sponsor. You'll learn to:
- Identify the right mix of proteges
- Include those with differing perspectives
- Inspire your proteges and ignite their ambition
- Instruct them to develop key skill sets
- Inspect your picks for performance and loyalty
- Instigate a deal, detailing the terms of a relationship
- Invest three ways and reap the rewards
Along the way, you'll discover the enormous benefits of investing in these valuable relationships.
Table of contents
- Part One: What Every Leader Needs to Know
- Part Two: The Playbook for Success
- Part Three: Dangers and Legacies
- About the Author
- Title: The Sponsor Effect
- Release date: May 2019
- Publisher(s): Harvard Business Review Press
- ISBN: 9781633695665
You might also like
Getting Dispersed Teams Right
What are the best ways for companies to manage and take advantage of virtual teams? This …
"Does technology actually matter? And how can we apply technology to drive business value? For years, …
Eat That Frog! Video Training Program
It’s like getting a private coaching session from one of the world’s leading success experts! In …
Cascades: How to Create a Movement that Drives Transformational Change
What does it take to change the world? This book will show you how to harness …