In the Third Edition of the bestselling book, The Truth About Managing People, bestselling author Stephen Robbins shares even more proven principles for handling virtually every management challenge. Robbins delivers 61 real solutions for the make-or-break problems faced by every manager. Readers will learn how to overcome the true obstacles to teamwork; why too much communication can be as dangerous as too little; how to improve your hiring and employee evaluations; how to heal "layoff survivor sickness"; how to manage a diverse culture; and ways to lead effectively in a digital world. New truths include: how to nurture friendly employees, forget about age stereotypes, first impressions count, be a good citizen, techniques for managing a diverse age group, and ethical leadership among others.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Dedication Page
Part I: The Truth About Hiring
- Truth 1. First Impressions DO Count!
- Truth 2. Forget Traits; It’s Behavior That Counts!
- Truth 3. Brains Matter; or Why You Should Hire Smart People
- Truth 4. When in Doubt, Hire Conscientious People!
- Truth 5. Want Friendly Employees? It’s in the Genes!
- Truth 6. Realistic Job Previews: What You See Is What You Get
- Truth 7. Throw Out Your Age Stereotypes
- Truth 8. Match Personalities and Jobs
- Truth 9. Hire People Who Fit Your Culture: My “Good Employee” Is Your Stinker!
- Truth 10. Good Citizenship Counts!
- Truth 11. Manage the Socialization of New Employees
Part II: The Truth About Motivation
- Truth 12. Why Many Workers Aren’t Motivated at Work Today
- Truth 13. Telling Employees to “Do Your Best” Isn’t Likely to Achieve Their Best
- Truth 14. Not Everyone Wants to Participate in Setting Goals
- Truth 15. Professional Workers Go for the Flow
- Truth 16. When Giving Feedback: Criticize Behaviors, Not People
- Truth 17. Managing Across the Generation Gap
- Truth 18. You Get What You Reward
- Truth 19. It’s All Relative!
- Truth 20. Recognition Motivates (and It Costs Very Little)
- Truth 21. There’s More to High Employee Performance Than Just Motivation
Part III: The Truth About Leadership
- Truth 22. Five Leadership Myths Debunked
- Truth 23. The Essence of Leadership Is Trust
- Truth 24. Experience Counts! Wrong!
- Truth 25. Effective Leaders Know How to Frame Issues
- Truth 26. You Get What You Expect
- Truth 27. Charisma Can Be Learned
- Truth 28. Charisma Is Not Always an Asset
- Truth 29. Make Others Dependent on You
- Truth 30. Successful Leaders Are Politically Adept
- Truth 31. Ethical Leadership
- Truth 32. Virtual Leadership: Leading from Afar
- Truth 33. Adjust Your Leadership Style for Cultural Differences, or When in Rome...
- Part IV: The Truth About Communication
- Part V: The Truth About Building Teams
- Part VI: The Truth About Managing Conflicts
- Part VII: The Truth About Designing Jobs
- Part VIII: The Truth About Performance Evaluation
- Part IX: The Truth About Coping with Change
- FT Press
- Title: The Truth About Managing People, Third Edition
- Release date: October 2012
- Publisher(s): PH Professional Business
- ISBN: 9780133090475