“The premiere writer of management textbooks has sifted through the research to extract the truths every manager should know. This book is an antidote for the unsupported opinions handed out in many popular management books.”
Kenneth W. Thomas, Professor of Management, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, California, author of Intrinsic Motivation at Work
“A prolific scholar and writer, Robbins cuts through the research and theory to deliver immediately useful and essential insights for the effective management of people.”
Eric G. Stephan, Professor Organizational Leadership & Strategy, Marriott School of Management, Brigham Young University
You can succeed brilliantly as a leader and overcome the “killer” problems faced by every manager!
• The truth about building winning teams and designing high-productivity jobs
• The truth about why “happy” employees aren’t always more productive
• The (surprising) truth about what behaviors you really want to reward
This book reveals 53 Proven Principles for handling virtually every management challenge
The Truth About Managing People offers real solutions for the make-or-break problems faced by every manager. You'll discover: how to overcome the true obstacles to teamwork; why too much communication can be as dangerous as too little; how to improve your hiring and employee evaluations; how to heal "layoff survivor sickness"; even how to learn charisma. This isn't someone's opinion; it's a definitive, evidence-based guide to effective management: a set of bedrock principles you can rely on throughout your entire management career.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- TRUTH 1 Forget traits; it’s behavior that counts!
- TRUTH 2 Realistic job previews: what you see is what you get
- TRUTH 3 Tips for improving employee interviews
- TRUTH 4 Brains matter; or when in doubt, hire smart people
- TRUTH 5 Don’t count too much on reference checks
- TRUTH 6 When in doubt, hire conscientious people!
- TRUTH 7 Hire people who fit your culture: my “good employee” is your stinker!
- TRUTH 8 Manage the socialization of new employees
- TRUTH 9 The case for conflict
- TRUTH 10 Beware of groupthink
- TRUTH 11 How to reduce work-life conflicts
- TRUTH 12 Negotiating isn’t about winning and losing
- TRUTH 13 Annual reviews: the best surprise is no surprise!
- TRUTH 14 Don’t blame me! The role of self-serving bias
- TRUTH 15 The case for 360-degree feedback appraisals: more is better!
- Title: The Truth About Being a Successful Manager: The Essential Truths in 20 Minutes
- Release date: September 2007
- Publisher(s): PH Professional Business
- ISBN: 9780137001866