A fresh, effective, and enduring way to lead—starting with your next interaction
Most leaders feel the inevitable interruptions in their jam-packed days are troublesome. But in TouchPoints, Conant and Norgaard argue that these—and every point of contact with other people—are overlooked opportunities for leaders to increase their impact and promote their organization's strategy and values. Through previously untold stories from Conant's tenure as CEO of Campbell Soup Company and Norgaard's vast consulting experience, the authors show that a leader's impact and legacy are built through hundreds, even thousands, of interactive moments in time. The good news is that anyone can develop "TouchPoint" mastery by focusing on three essential components: head, heart, and hands.
TouchPoints speaks to the theory and craft of leadership, promoting a balanced presence of rational, authentic, active, and wise leadership practices. Leadership mastery in the smallest and otherwise ordinary moments can transform aimless activity in individuals and entropy in organizations into focused energy—one magical moment at a time.
Table of contents
- Editor's Note
1. The Power of TouchPoints: The Action Is in the Interaction
- 1.1. THREE VARIABLES, ONE TOUCHPOINT
- 1.2. MY ISSUE, YOUR ISSUE, OR OUR ISSUE
- 1.3. THE POTENTIAL OF A TOUCHPOINT
- 1.4. THE EXPONENTIAL EFFECT OF A TOUCHPOINT
- 1.5. TOUGH-MINDED ON THE ISSUE, TENDER-HEARTED WITH PEOPLE
- 1.6. WHAT'S YOUR APPROACH?
- 1.7. THE POINT IS . . .
2. The Commitment to Mastery: THE CHOICE IS YOURS
- 2.1. BARRIERS TO MASTERY
- 2.2. MAKE TIME FOR MASTERY
- 2.3. THE MASTERY ESSENTIALS
- 2.4. MISSING THE MARK
- 2.5. CHECK HOW YOU ARE DOING
- 2.6. MAKE A PROMISE TO YOURSELF
- 2.7. THE POINT IS . . .
3. Use Your Head: The Commitment to Inquiry
- 3.1. MODELS GUIDE OUR BEHAVIOR
- 3.2. MODELS, MODELS, EVERYWHERE
- 3.3. THE CAMPBELL LEADERSHIP MODEL
- 3.4. MAKE A COMMITMENT TO INQUIRY
- 3.5. BE CONSISTENT AND FLEXIBLE
- 3.6. THE POINT IS . . .
- 4. Use Your Heart: The Commitment to Reflection
5. Use Your Hands: The Commitment to Practice
- 5.1. THE POWER OF PRACTICE
- 5.2. A SHARED UNDERSTANDING
- 5.3. LEAD WITH LISTENING
- 5.4. FOLLOW THROUGH WITH SPEAKING
- 5.5. LIFT YOUR GAME
- 5.6. THE POINT IS . . .
6. Mastering the Touch: How Can I Help?
- 6.1. FOUR MAGIC WORDS: "HOW CAN I HELP?"
- 6.2. THE TOUCHPOINT TRIAD
- 6.3. FOLLOW THROUGH: "HOW DID IT GO?"
- 6.4. THE FOUR A'S OF AN EFFECTIVE TOUCHPOINT
- 6.5. HOW CAN I DO BETTER TOMORROW?
- 6.6. THE POINT IS . . .
- About the Authors
- Title: TouchPoints: Creating Powerful Leadership Connections in the Smallest of Moments
- Release date: May 2011
- Publisher(s): Jossey-Bass
- ISBN: 9781118004357
You might also like
Act Like a Leader, Think Like a Leader
You aspire to lead with greater impact. Act Like a Leader, Think Like a Leader then …
Influence You'll learn the six universal principles, how to use them to become a skilled persuader—and …
The Art of Leadership
Many people think leadership is a higher calling that resides exclusively with a select few who …
Managing Humans: Biting and Humorous Tales of a Software Engineering Manager, Third Edition
Read hilarious stories with serious lessons that Michael Lopp extracts from his varied and sometimes bizarre …