Chapter 1: C++, SFML, Visual Studio, and Starting the First Game
Welcome to Beginning C++ Game Programming. I will not waste any time in getting you started on your journey to writing great games for the PC using C++ and the OpenGL powered SFML.
This is quite a hefty first chapter, but we will learn absolutely everything we need so that we have the first part of our first game up and running. Here is what we will do in this chapter:
- Find out about the games we will build
- Meet C++
- Find out about Microsoft Visual C++
- Explore SFML and its relationship with C++
- Setting up the development environment
- Plan and prepare for the first game project, Timber!!!
- Write the first C++ code of this book and make a runnable game that draws a background