6Testing and commissioning
|Key processes:||Commissioning servicesCommissioning documentationQuality management and control|
|Key objective:||‘Is it performing as designed?’|
|Key deliverables:||Commissioning documentation|
|Key resources:||Client teamProject managerDesign teamCDM coordinatorConstructor teamCommissioning team|
Stage processes and outcomes
Part of the construction stage, this stage confirms that the building services systems have been installed in compliance with the design, have been fully tested and have been proven to be fully functional.
- Commissioning strategy and schedule
- Commissioning outcomes in accordance with contractual requirements
- O&M manuals
- Certifications and warranties
- Records of testing and witnessing
- Training of client staff
- Update Health and Safety Plan and File
- Performance certificates
It must be stressed that the sequencing of this stage does not mean that the activities involved only take place at the end of the construction stage. Commissioning is a very important part of the construction process and must be addressed and considered very early on within the project. The following are suggested activities that must be considered well before this stage:
- Decide the most appropriate time within the project to appoint the commissioning contractor and their role/scope of work.
- Where appropriate, appoint a commissioning contractor to review the design drawings and working drawings to ensure commissionability.
- Ensure consultants ...
Get Code of Practice for Project Management for Construction and Development, 5th Edition now with the O’Reilly learning platform.
O’Reilly members experience books, live events, courses curated by job role, and more from O’Reilly and nearly 200 top publishers.