Kaiser Permanente has implemented the largest nongovernmental electronic health record in the world, serving more than 8.6 million Kaiser Permanente members. Called KP HealthConnect, its impact on patient care outcomes, efficiency, safety, and patient engagement and satisfaction already is of intense interest throughout the health care industry. In this volume, Louise L. Liang, MD, who led the massive KP HealthConnect implementation, collects lessons learned from the organization's successful deployment strategy and highlights ways in which the new technological tools are changing and improving - the health care provided to patients and the operations and culture of the organization.
Advance praise for Connected for Health
"Health care transformation requires leadership and innovation. Connected for Health clearly shows there is no shortage of either at Kaiser Permanente. This is a must read for policy makers and practitioners as the lessons are of critical value if we are to achieve quality, affordable care for Americans."
—H. Stephen Lieber, president and CEO, Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society
"Connected for Health shares what Kaiser Permanente has learned so far in tapping the vast potential of electronic health records to improve care and expand the frontiers of medical research. It is a journey that should be of great interest to policy leaders in the United States and around the world."
—Karen Davis, president, The Commonwealth Fund
"This book is destined to become an important part of the critical dialogue on what reforming our health care system really means."
—James J. Mongan, MD, Professor of Health Care Policy and Social Medicine, Harvard Medical School
"Connected for Health shows how KP HealthConnect is facilitating great team-based care, getting quality right every time, getting patients activated, and freeing caregivers to connect as true healers with their patients."
—Margaret E. O'Kane, president, National Committee for Quality Assurance
"Effective implementation and use of health information technology is critical to improving the quality, safety, and affordability of health care. This book provides a great opportunity for others to learn from Kaiser Permanente's pioneering efforts."
—Janet M. Corrigan, president and CEO, National Quality Forum
Table of contents
- Cover Page
- Title Page
- THE EDITOR
- KAISER PERMANENTE HEALTHCONNECT: A PRIMER
- SECTION ONE: SETTING THE COURSE
SECTION TWO: LAYING THE TRACKS
- CHAPTER TWO: IMPLEMENTATION THROUGH COLLABORATION
- CHAPTER THREE: PHYSICIAN LEADERSHIP AND ENGAGEMENT
- CHAPTER FOUR: NURSING LEADERSHIP AND IMPACT
- A CASE STUDY: DEPLOYING KP HEALTHCONNECT IN COLORADO
SECTION THREE: HARVESTING VALUE
- CHAPTER FIVE: MAKING IT MATTER
- CHAPTER SIX: MANAGING THE HEALTH OF POPULATIONS
- CHAPTER SEVEN: REDESIGNING PRIMARY CARE WITH KP HEALTHCONNECT
- CHAPTER EIGHT: MAKING HEALTH PERSONAL
- CHAPTER NINE: IMPROVING PATIENT SAFETY
- CHAPTER TEN: SUPERCHARGING RESEARCH THROUGH KP HEALTHCONNECT
SECTION FOUR: FUTURE DIRECTIONS
- CHAPTER ELEVEN: KP HEALTHCONNECT AND THE ARCHIMEDES MODEL
- CHAPTER TWELVE: THE DIGITAL TRANSFORMATION OF HEALTH CARE
- Appendix: Select Publications About KP HealthConnect
- Title: Connected for Health: Using Electronic Health Records to Transform Care Delivery
- Release date: May 2010
- Publisher(s): Pfeiffer
- ISBN: 9780470639375
You might also like
Information and Communication Technologies in Healthcare
As the population ages and healthcare costs continue to soar, the focus of the nation and …
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Internet of Things in Biomedical Engineering
Internet of Things in Biomedical Engineering presents the most current research in Internet of Things (IoT) …
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …