Understand Metrics and KPIs for IT Service Management
When companies look to identify opportunities for improvement, they often turn to Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to measure their current performance in achieving business strategies and objectives.
There is a common misconception, however, that KPIs are simple measurements that are easy to create, and that the mere act of this measurement will cause people to change their behaviour and improve their performance without additional intervention.
Learn to implement an ITSM KPI management system
Integrated Measurement – KPIs and Metrics for ITSM is the third title in a series designed to explain, at an operational level, how to implement new processes within an organisation, and how to facilitate the necessary changes to people's behaviour, in order to make that implementation a success.
Real-world KPI experience
Through an engaging narrative story, this volume in the series looks at the implementation of a KPI management system. Through the central character, readers witness (and learn from) real-world conversations and situations that are commonplace in an everyday business environment. The characters are fictitious, but the story comes from the author's own experience and real accounts.
Each chapter ends with valuable lessons and conclusions drawn from events in the narrative, giving the reader a wealth of real-world, practical advice on what works, what fails, and the common traps and pitfalls to anticipate and avoid during an implementation project.
People with little or no ITIL® experience, or even a limited IT background, will find this book interesting, entertaining and, above all, extremely useful in understanding the means to a successful implementation of a KPI management system.
"I really enjoyed it. I couldn't put it down once I had started!" Dave Jones, Pink Elephant
Written by an ITIL / ITSM Expert
Daniel McLean is an ITIL consultant with over 20 years' experience in IT. He has spent the last 10 years designing, implementing and operating processes supporting ITSM. He was also a peer reviewer during development of the OGC ITIL v3 Service Strategy Best Practice. Daniel has been involved in the development and delivery of company-focused ITSM courseware, and he is the author of several other titles, including The ITSM Iron Triangle: Incidents, Changes and Problems and No One of Us Is As Strong As All of Us: Services, Catalogs and Portfolios.
Table of Contents
- About the Author
- Chapter 1: So Easy Even a Child Could Do It
- Chapter 2: I’d Thought Things Were Going Rather Well
- Chapter 3: Try to Get it Right this Time
- Chapter 4: The Trivial Many Versus the Meaningful Few
- Chapter 5: Teaching Old Dogs New Tricks
- Chapter 6: Every Journey Begins with a Destination
- Chapter 7: Friend or Foe?
- Chapter 8: Hunters and Gatherers
- Chapter 9: Whispers in the Halls
- Chapter 10: What’s the Use?
- Chapter 11: Bringing in the Data
- Chapter 12: The Signal Amongst the Noise
- Chapter 13: Knowledge wants to be Free
- Chapter 14: Long Goodbyes
- ITG Resources
- Title: Integrated Measurement- KPIs and Metrics
- Release date: May 2013
- Publisher(s): IT Governance Publishing
- ISBN: 9781849284875