In this chapter you will learn:
• To become familiar with Unicode.
• The mission of the Unicode Consortium
• The design basis of Unicode.
• The three Unicode encoding forms: UTF-8, UTF-16 and UTF-32.
• Characters and glyphs.
• The advantages and disadvantages of using Unicode.
• A brief tour of the Unicode Consortium’s website.
The use of inconsistent character encodings (i.e., numeric values associated with characters) when developing global software products causes serious problems because computers process information using numbers. For ...