Installing MySQL using repositories requires access to public internet. As a security measure, most of the production machines are not connected to the internet. In that case, you can download the RPM or DEB files on the system administration and copy them to the production machine.
There are mainly two types of installation files:
- RPM (CentOS, Red Hat, Fedora, and Oracle Linux)
- DEB (Debian, Ubuntu)
There are multiple packages that you need to install. Here is a list and short description of each one:
- mysql-community-server: Database server and related tools.
- mysql-community-client: MySQL client applications and tools.
- mysql-community-common: Common files for server and client libraries.
- mysql-community-devel ...