Get unprecedented access to thousands of databases. It's called Open Data, and it's revolutionizing business.
The business leader’s guide to using Open Data to analyze patterns and trends, manage risk, solve problems—and seize the competitive edge
Two major trends—the exponential growth of digital data and an emerging culture of disclosure and transparency—have converged to create a world where voluminous information about businesses, government, and the population is becoming visible, accessible, and usable. It’s called Open Data, and this book helps leaders harness its power to market and grow their companies.
Open Data Now gives you the knowledge and tools to take advantage of this phenomenon in its early stages—and beat the competition to leveraging its many benefits.
Joel Gurin is an expert on making complex data sets useful in solving consumer problems, analyzing corporate information, and addressing social issues. He has collaborated with leaders in data, technology, and policy in the U.S. and UK governments, including officials in the White House and 10 Downing Street and at more than 20 U.S. federal agencies.
Table of Contents
- Open Data Now: The Secret to Hot Startups, Smart Investing, Savvy Marketing, and Fast Innovation
- Copyright Page
- Preface: My Journey Through the Datasphere
- Introduction: The World’s Greatest Free Resource
Part 1 The Power of Open Data
- 1 An Opportunity as Big as the Web
- 2 Hot Startups: Turning Government Data into Dollars
- 3 Consumer Websites: Choice Engines for Smart Disclosure
- 4 New Companies to Manage the Data Deluge
- 5 Data-Driven Investing: New Tools for Business Analysis
- 6 Green Investing: Betting on Sustainability Data
- 7 Savvy Marketing: How Reputational Data Defines Your Brand
- 8 The Marketing Science of Sentiment Analysis
- 9 Tapping the Crowd for Fast Innovation
- 10 The Open Research Lab: Innovating Through Open Collaboration
- Part 2 The Business Environment: New Trends in Open Data
- Selected Bibliography
- Appendix A: Using OpenDataNow.com
- Appendix B: Defining Data Categories
- Chapter Notes
- Title: Open Data Now: The Secret to Hot Startups, Smart Investing, Savvy Marketing, and Fast Innovation
- Release date: January 2014
- Publisher(s): McGraw-Hill
- ISBN: 9780071829786