22 Overall Summary
HERE ARE SOME OF THE key overall messages that I believe are most important:
- The project management profession is at a major transition point.
The project management profession is beginning to go through rapid and profound changes due to the widespread adoption of agile methodologies. Those changes are likely to dramatically change the role of project managers in many environments, as we have known them and raise the bar for the entire project management profession.
- Agile project management approach:
- Don't get too wrapped up in the methodology and language of agile. Focus on results and adapt the approach as needed to deliver results. That requires an understanding of the principles at a deeper level in addition to the mechanics of how to get things done.
- Fit the approach to the project. Don't make the mistake of force-fitting a project to some predefined, textbook methodology. The right approach is to go in the other direction and fit the methodology to the nature of the project.
- Focus on governance, people, process, and tools. When projects are in trouble and aren't going well, many people try to push harder to make the process work. A better approach is to focus on the systemic factors that are at the core of making an agile project successful:
- Governance: An effective system of project governance to provide oversight over projects to ensure that they effectively fulfill customer needs and manage the company's business interests.
- People: Having the right ...