Book DescriptionThe ugly truth about diversity is that some people worry they must give up their power for others to have a chance. La'Wana Harris's Inclusion Coaching method helps people realize that sharing power isn't the same as losing it.
The elephant in the room with diversity work is that people with privilege must use it to allow others equal access to power. This is often why diversity efforts falter—people believe in diversity until they feel that they have to give something up. How do we talk them through this shift?
La'Wana Harris introduces Inclusion Coaching, a new tool based on cutting-edge research that identifies the stages of preparation, implementation, and “self-work” necessary to help individuals, teams, and organizations build a sustainable culture of inclusion. Harris's six-stage COMMIT model—Commit to courageous action, Open your eyes and ears, Move beyond lip service, Make room for controversy and conflict, Invite new perspectives, and Tell the truth even when it hurts—provides a proven process for making people aware of their own conscious and unconscious biases and concrete steps to make inclusion an embedded reality.
Harris offers managers and diversity coaches new models to empower everyone from employees to CEOs to “do” inclusion and address deep-rooted biases that are often invisible. She addresses the growing need to challenge bias and build authentic cultures where everyone can feel a sense of belonging.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Introduction: Diversity and Inclusion Starts from Within
- 1: We Hired Some Minorities, Some Women, and People with Disabilities; Isn’t That Enough?
- 2: The Language of Diversity
- 3: The Problem of Privilege: Does Diversity Mean I Lose Mine?
- 4: Coaching + D&I = Δ Behavior
- 5: Commit to Courageous Action
- 6: Open Your Eyes and Ears
- 7: Move beyond Lip Service (Sharing Power Is Harder—and Easier—Than You Think)
- 8: Make Room for Controversy and Conflict (You Can Talk about This at Work)
- 9: Invite New Perspectives
- 10: Tell the Truth Even When It Hurts
- 11: My Truth, Unfiltered
- Conclusion: What’s in It for Everyone: Where Inclusion Can Take Your Life, Your Career, and Your Company
- Diversity-beyond-Lip-Service Commitment Statement
- COMMIT Self-Assessment: Where Are You in Your Journey?
- About the Author
- Title: Diversity Beyond Lip Service
- Release date: May 2019
- Publisher(s): Berrett-Koehler Publishers
- ISBN: 9781523098712