Discover and implement a system of your choice using Bluetooth Low Energy.
About This Book
- Learn the basics of Bluetooth Low Energy with its exciting new protocol stack and security.
- Build customized Bluetooth Low Energy projects that make your web or mobile apps smarter in terms of networking and communications.
- Using Android, iOS, and the Web, acquire key skills to harness the power of Bluetooth Low Energy in your IoT applications.
Who This Book Is For
What You Will Learn
- Bluetooth Low Energy in theory.
- Bluetooth Low Energy Hardware and Software Development Kits.
- Implement Bluetooth low energy communication (central and peripheral) using Android.
- Master BLE Beacons with examples implemented over Eddystone and iBeacons.
- Implement indoor navigation using Estimote Beacons on iOS.
- Implement Internet gateways to control BLE devices on a Wi-Fi network.
- Understand BLE security mechanisms with a special focus on Bluetooth pairing, bonding, and key exchange to cover encryption, privacy, and user data integrity.
- Implement Bluetooth Mesh using CSRMesh Technology.
Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) is a Wireless Personal Area network technology aimed at novel applications for smart devices. High-tech BLE profiles and services are being increasingly used by application developers and hardware enthusiasts to allow devices to interact with the surrounding world.
This book will focus on a technical introduction to BLE and how it is reshaping small-distance communication. We will start with IoT, where many technologies such as BLE, Zigbee, and IEEE 802.15.4 Mesh will be introduced. The book will present BLE from an engineering perspective, from which the protocol stack, architecture, and layers are discussed. You will learn to implement customized projects for Peripheral/Central communication, BLE Beacons, indoor navigation using triangulation, and the Internet gateway for Bluetooth Low Energy Personal Network, all using various code samples and APIs on Android, iOS, and the Web. Finally, the book will conclude with a glimpse into future technologies destined to be prominent in years to come.
Style and approach
The book is a practical tutorial that will help you understand the background and technicalities of BLE and offers a friendly environment to build and create robust BLE projects. This hands-on approach will give you a clear vision of Bluetooth Low Energy and how it can be used in IoT.
Downloading the example code for this book. You can download the example code files for all Packt books you have purchased from your account at http://www.PacktPub.com. If you purchased this book elsewhere, you can visit http://www.PacktPub.com/support and register to have the code file.
Table of contents
BLE and the Internet of Things
- Internet of Things
- Technologies in the Internet of Things
Bluetooth Low Energy
- Bluetooth versions
- Bluetooth Low Energy Key Concepts
- Bluetooth Low Energy Security
- Bluetooth Low Energy for the Internet of Things
BLE Hardware, Software, and Debugging Tools
- Bluetooth Low Energy hardware
- Bluetooth Low Energy software
Building a BLE Central and Peripheral Communication System
- Bluetooth Low Energy central and peripheral
Android Bluetooth Low Energy
- An introduction to Android
- Bluetooth Low Energy in API level 24
- Building an Android app to list Bluetooth devices in the proximity
- Runtime permissions
- Android app - heart rate monitor application
- Bluetooth Over-The-Air device firmware update
Bluetooth Low Energy Beacons
- Introduction to Bluetooth Low Energy Beacons
- Beacon protocols
- Estimote beacons
BLE Indoor Navigation Using Estimote Beacons
- Introducing indoor navigation
- Estimote Location Beacons and triangulation
- Indoor location using the Estimote Location Beacons
- Implementing indoor navigation using the Estimote Location SDK on Swift
Bluetooth Mesh Technology
- Introduction to mesh networking
- Mesh networking in wireless technologies
- Setting up the CSRMesh development kit
- The Android CSRMesh control application
- CSRMesh library for Android
Implementing a Bluetooth Gateway Using the Raspberry Pi 3
- Introducing the Raspberry Pi
- Set up your Raspberry Pi with Raspbian
- Deploying a Bluetooth gateway on your Raspberry Pi
- Implementing a Bluetooth gateway on the Raspberry Pi
- Implementing the Bluetooth gateway explorer v2
The Future of Bluetooth Low Energy
- The Internet of Things and the role of Bluetooth Low Energy
- Use of IoT in smart cities and the automobile industry
- Potential research in Bluetooth Low Energy
- Title: Building Bluetooth Low Energy Systems
- Release date: April 2017
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781786461087
You might also like
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Internet of Things for Architects
Learn to design, implement and secure your IoT infrastructure About This Book Build a complete IoT …
Python for Programmers, First Edition
The professional programmer's Deitel® guide to Python® with introductory artificial intelligence case studies Written for programmers …
51+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Python development with …