In From Concept to Consumer, renowned product developer Phil Baker reveals exactly what it takes to create great products and bring them to market.
Baker’s product successes range from Apple’s PowerBook to the Stowaway portable keyboard, the most successful PDA accessory ever created. Here, he walks you through the entire development process, showing how to develop products holistically, reflecting the crucial linkages between product design, engineering, testing, manufacturing, marketing, and distribution. You’ll discover what makes a winning product, and why great ideas are just 5% of the process...the easiest 5%!
You’ll find practical guidance for planning, establishing teams, creating marketing requirements, avoiding “feature creep,” prototyping, protecting intellectual property, market testing and positioning, preparing for customer service, implementing the optimal distribution strategy, and much more. After you’ve delivered your first breakthrough product, Baker shows how to follow up with another winner!
Optimize your entire product development
Make everything work together seamlessly: from planning and engineering through distribution and marketing
Get breakthrough industrial design without
overpaying for it
Deliver products that create a powerful emotional bond with your customer
Time product delivery for maximum
Make sure you don’t reach your market too late–or too early, either
Leverage Asian manufacturing without
falling victim to its pitfalls
Successfully coordinate even the most complex worldwide product delivery programs
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Chapter 01 New World, New Rules
- Chapter 02 Just Do It
- Chapter 03 The Basics of Development
- Chapter 04 Industrial Design Matters
- Chapter 05 Why Outsource?
- Chapter 06 Selecting and Working with an Asian Partner
- Chapter 07 The Marketing Component
- Chapter 08 Distribution: Getting Your Product to the Customer
- Chapter 09 Legal Advice: Knowing When to Ignore It
- Chapter 10: Now What?
- Epilogue: The Future of Product Development
- Appendix A: Top Ten Rules
- Appendix B: Products and the Environment
- Appendix C: China—Helpful or Harmful?
- Appendix D: A Representative List of Recommended Resources
- Title: From Concept to Consumer: How to Turn Ideas Into Money
- Release date: October 2008
- Publisher(s): Pearson
- ISBN: 9780137151899