Statistical Process Control
AFTER READING THIS CHAPTER, YOU WILL BE ABLE TO:
- Explain when and how to use statistical process control to ensure the quality of products and services
- Discuss the rationale and procedure for constructing control charts
- Utilize attribute control charts to determine if a process is in control
- Utilize variable control charts to determine if a process is in control.
- Identify control chart patterns and describe appropriate data collection
- Develop control charts using Excel and OM Tools
- Assess the process capability of a process
QUALITY CONTROL IN DENIM FABRIC PRODUCTION
Because of the importance of quality to denim jeans purchasers, process control techniques are employed at every stage of the denim jeans supply chain. One hundred percent inspection and process control results in both the removal of defects and the control and adjustment of machinery and processes to eliminate future defects.
In the typical denim fabric production process, each bale of cotton is inspected for handling and shipping damage. In a series of processes, the cotton fibers are blended, cleaned, disentangled, and aligned, and then elongated and twisted into yarn that is spun onto tubes. In each of these processes, fibers are inspected for length ...