Global Supply Chain Procurement and Distribution
AFTER READING THIS CHAPTER, YOU WILL BE ABLE TO:
- Discuss outsourcing as a strategic decision.
- Explain the basic elements of procurement, e-procurement and spend analysis.
- Describe distribution strategies, systems and processes.
- Assess the advantages and disadvantages of different modes of transportation.
- Discuss issues and trends in the global supply chain.
GLOBAL SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT AT LI & FUNG
Li & Fung Limited, headquartered in Hong Kong, is the world's leading consumer goods sourcing company supplying high volume, time-sensitive products like denim jeans to over 2000 customers worldwide. It is the recognized world leader in supply chain management, providing a spectrum of services that covers the entire supply chain. It has over 240 offices and distribution centers with 37,000 employees in over 40 countries. Garments, including denim jeans, make up about two-thirds of Li & Fung's business; it is involved in the production of 40% to 50% of the clothes you'll find in any U.S. shopping mall.
Li & Fung's extensive global network of over 15,000 suppliers includes product design and development, raw material and factory sourcing, production planning and management, quality assurance, shipping ...