AFTER READING THIS CHAPTER, YOU WILL BE ABLE TO:
- Discuss the basic principles of human resource management in quality-focused companies.
- Discuss the changing nature of and contemporary trends in human resources management.
- Explain different methods of employee compensation.
- Describe the benefits of employee diversity and give examples of diversity initiatives.
- Describe the attributes and elements of a good job design.
- Use various tools to conduct a job analysis.
- Determine and explain the learning curve effect for work improvement.
A GLOBAL COMMITMENT TO HUMAN RESOURCES AT LEVI STRAUSS & COMPANY
In 1991 Levi Strauss & Company was the first global apparel company to establish a workplace code of conduct, called “Terms of Engagement” (TOE), for its manufacturing suppliers. Based on United Nations human rights and labor documents, the TOE defines labor, health and safety, and environmental requirements for Levi Strauss's over 700 global suppliers in 42 countries. In 1999 and 2005, it strengthened protections of the rights of workers to form unions and participate in collective bargaining. In addition to interacting with its suppliers and local communities, Levi Strauss also engages governments at all levels in strengthening and enforcing ...