Understand your money beliefs and where they come from
We all grow up with money myths. We get a lot of them from our parents and the way they bring us up. I can still hear my mother saying, ‘A penny saved is a penny found’, and to this day I still have no idea what it means. Maybe I’m lucky. My money myths are based on a lot of nonsense like that. But most of us have the following ingrained beliefs:
- Money is the root of all evil.*
- Money is dirty.
- I don’t deserve to be rich.
- Money is only made by the greedy and dishonest.
- Money corrupts.
- You mustn’t brag about money – never say how much you earn, are worth or paid for something (unless it is a bargain).
- You can’t have money and be ‘spiritually pure’.**
- You lose your friends if you get ...