Put something aside for emergencies/rainy days – the contingency fund
As well as saving for your old age you’ll always need to have a contingency fund. I can’t give you a definitive list of emergencies but here’s a few to get you thinking. Don’t have nightmares now:
- accidents – motoring, industrial, work-related
- sudden legal problems – like being sued or arrested wrongly
- land disputes – very expensive indeed
- problems with children – don’t start me off, there are too many to list here including drugs, unwanted pregnancies, trouble with police, motoring, illnesses, travel problems (it’s expensive to get them back from Thailand when they run out of money and/or enthusiasm)
- acts of God – floods, earthquakes, tsunami, droughts, ...