Book description"Toyota Kata gets to the essence of how Toyota manages continuous improvement and human ingenuity, through its improvement kata and coaching kata. Mike Rother explains why typical companies fail to understand the core of lean and make limited progress—and what it takes to make it a real part of your culture."
—Jeffrey K. Liker, bestselling author of The Toyota Way
"[Toyota Kata is] one of the stepping stones that will usher in a new era of management thinking."
—The Systems Thinker
"How any organization in any industry can progress from old-fashioned management by results to a strikingly different and better way."
—James P. Womack, Chairman and Founder, Lean Enterprise Institute
"Practicing the improvement kata is perhaps the best way we've found so far for actualizing PDCA in an organization."
—John Shook, Chairman and CEO, Lean Enterprise Institute
This game-changing book puts you behind the curtain at Toyota, providing new insight into the legendary automaker's management practices and offering practical guidance for leading and developing people in a way that makes the best use of their brainpower.
Drawing on six years of research into Toyota's employee-management routines, Toyota Kata examines and elucidates, for the first time, the company's organizational routines--called kata--that power its success with continuous improvement and adaptation. The book also reaches beyond Toyota to explain issues of human behavior in organizations and provide specific answers to questions such as:
- How can we make improvement and adaptation part of everyday work throughout the organization?
- How can we develop and utilize the capability of everyone in the organization to repeatedly work toward and achieve new levels of performance?
- How can we give an organization the power to handle dynamic, unpredictable situations and keep satisfying customers?
Mike Rother explains how to improve our prevailing management approach through the use of two kata: Improvement Kata--a repeating routine of establishing challenging target conditions, working step-by-step through obstacles, and always learning from the problems we encounter; and Coaching Kata: a pattern of teaching the improvement kata to employees at every level to ensure it motivates their ways of thinking and acting.
With clear detail, an abundance of practical examples, and a cohesive explanation from start to finish, Toyota Kata gives executives and managers at any level actionable routines of thought and behavior that produce superior results and sustained competitive advantage.
Table of contents
- Cover Page
- Toyota Kata: Managing People for Improvement, Adaptiveness and Superior Results
- Copyright Page
- Introduction: Transforming Our Understanding of Leadership and Management
- Part I The Situation
- Part II Know Yourself
- Part III The Improvement Kata: How Toyota Continuously Improves
- Part IV The Coaching Kata: How Toyota Teaches the Improvement Kata
- Part V Replication:What About Other Companies?
- Appendix 1 Where Do You Start with the Improvement Kata?
- Appendix 2 Process Analysis
- About the Author
- Title: Toyota Kata: Managing People for Improvement, Adaptiveness and Superior Results
- Release date: September 2009
- Publisher(s): McGraw-Hill
- ISBN: 9780071639859
You might also like
The Toyota Way to Lean Leadership: Achieving and Sustaining Excellence through Leadership Development
The Missing Link to Toyota-Style Success—LEAN LEADERSHIP Winner of the 2012 Shingo Research and Professional Publications …
Value Stream Mapping: How to Visualize Work and Align Leadership for Organizational Transformation
The first of its kind—a Value Stream Mapping book written for those in service and office …
Toyota Kata Culture: Building Organizational Capability and Mindset through Kata Coaching
Take advantage of your organization’s brainpower with Kata-driven continuous improvement “This is the first book I …
The Toyota Kata Practice Guide: Developing Scientific Thinking Skills for Superior Results-in 20 Minutes a Day
Take the Kata path to scientific thinking and superior results! In this long-awaited companion to the …