WHAT IF YOU HAD AN ANGEL ON YOUR SIDE?
"Terrific advice from a master of the angel investing game. Brian Cohen reveals the art and craft of raising angel money. An investment in this book will pay off a thousandfold." -- DR. HOWARD MORGAN, founder and partner at First Round Capital
When you connect with the right angel investor, it's like finding a new best friend--you just have to know what makes him or her happy.
Smart funding is waiting for smart founders. Raising funds is all about connecting with the investor who's right for you--and What Every Angel Investor Wants You to Know shows you exactly how to succeed.
Veteran early-stage investor Brian Cohen knows how to spot a great company destined for success, and in this groundbreaking book he offers soup-to-nuts guidance for any entrepreneur seeking to launch an invention, a product, or a great new idea into a receptive marketplace.
As chairman of the board of directors of the New York Angels, Cohen is one of the most engaged angel investors out there today. The first investor in Pinterest, he describes exactly what angels want to see, hear, and feel before they take out their checkbooks:
- A clear exit strategy before the startup even launches
- Facts that turn "due" diligence into "do" diligence
- Authenticity--"save your spinning for the fitness center"
- Proof that you "live inside the customer's head"
Cohen gives invaluable insight into how the most successful angels view due diligence, friends and family money, crowdfunding, team building, scalability, iteration, exit strategies--and much more.
This one-of-a-kind book provides a rare look inside the minds of people who are in the business of funding businesses just like yours.
Read What Every Angel Investor Wants You to Know to get your best shot at funding for your product after your very first pitch.
PRAISE FOR WHAT EVERY ANGEL INVESTOR WANTS YOU TO KNOW:
"Brian Cohen is truly the entrepreneur's best friend. Cohen and Kador haven distilled their first-hand experiences into an intensely personal, highly readable journey into the mind of angels that should be kept at the bedside of every startup CEO." -- DAVID S. ROSE, founder, New York Angels, and CEO, Gust
"Meet one of the fundamental building blocks of the entrepreneurial scene. In one easy-to-read package, readers now have the wisdom of Brian Cohen, perhaps the most well-connected investor/entrepreneur in New York." -- MURAT AKTIHANOGLU, founder and managing director, Entrepreneurs Roundtable Accelerator
"What Every Angel Investor Wants You to Know gives you an actionable checklist for success in fund-raising and entrepreneurship. Cohen and Kador provide an exhilarating ride for those who want to pilot their own business." -- REED HOLDEN, serial entrepreneur and author of Negotiating with Backbone
"Personal insights from a seasoned angel investor. An important addition to the reading list for today's entrepreneurs." -- SCOTT CASE, CEO, Startup America Partnership
"What Every Angel Investor Wants You to Know is a must-read for entrepreneurs and investors who want to fi nance startup dreams--an accessible, jargon-free, practical primer." -- WHITNEY JOHNSON, author of Dare, Dream, Do: Remarkable Things Happen When You Dare to Dream and cofounder, Rose Park Advisors
“While [this] book is anecdotal, [the authors] discuss in depth how angels view a potential investment as well as how they evaluate its prospects. This is the book’s strength. Recommended. All levels of students, entrepreneurs, practitioners.” -- CHOICE
Table of Contents
- WHAT EVERY ANGEL INVESTOR WANTS YOU TO KNOW: AN INSIDER REVEALS HOW TO GET SMART FUNDING FOR YOUR BILLION-DOLLAR IDEA
- Copyright Page
- 1 Angel Investing Is a Contact Sport
- 2 Early Stage Investing and Why Angels Are Your New Best Friend
- 3 Let’s Get to Know Each Other
- 4 What I’m Looking for in an Entrepreneur
- 5 What I Look for in the Pitch
- 6 Every Business Starts with a Belief
- 7 Investor Raising vs. Money Raising
- 8 Don’t Hurt the Ones Who Love You
- 9 Going Belly to Belly with Your Customer
- 10 Due Diligence and Do Diligence
- 11 Accelerators, Incubators, and Crowdfunding
- 12 It’s All About Teammanship
- 13 Getting to No Is Just as Important as Getting to Yes
- 14 Iterating the Startup
- 15 Baking in the Exit from the Beginning
- A Due Diligence Checklist
- B The New York Angels Term Sheet
- C Five Indispensable Tools Founders Can Use to Do Due Diligence on Angels
- D Own Your Venture Equity Simulator
- About the Authors
- About the New York Angels
- Title: What Every Angel Investor Wants You to Know: An Insider Reveals How to Get Smart Funding for Your Billion Dollar Idea
- Release date: April 2013
- Publisher(s): McGraw-Hill
- ISBN: 9780071800723