This chapter covers the following topics:
• The essentials of the Systems Network Architecture (SNA), IBM Data Center technology including mainframes, channels, the front-end processor (FEP), and the virtual telecommunications access method (VTAM)
• The mainframe attachment options: enterprise system connections (ESCON), the channel interface processor (CIP), the channel port adapter (CPA), and the Open System Architecture (OSA) card
• The evolution of SNA from subarea SNA to application peer-to-peer networking (APPN)
• How to transport SNA on an IP network via data-link switching plus (DLSW+) and SNA switching (SNAsw)
• The concept of Sysplex for cluster environments
• The design of today’s Data Centers ...