• Most of the huge growth in digital data comes from online music, video, and games, which people increasingly want to access via the Internet on their home TV.
• The Internet tech companies want access to that home-TV online market.
• Traditional cable/satellite Internet service providers (ISP)s in America have bundled services to try to protect their telephone, broadband, and pay-TV offerings.
• This has led to a battle between ISPs and the major Internet tech companies for domination of the Internet gateway to the online TV.
• Both groups are moving toward monitoring and collecting viewer data and providing targeted advertising.
When I edited The Knowledge Economy ...