• Big Data management technologies have their origins in the concepts that originated with enterprise resource planning (ERP) and other enterprise business systems.
• Big Data analysis capabilities evolved from Google and Yahoo!’s use of massive parallel processing and Hadoop/MapReduce technologies.
• Because traditional relational database management systems don’t work well with unstructured data, new non-relational databases have emerged.
• These new technologies can produce significant cost savings and provide unique analysis but are not intended for business-critical data.
• These Big Data technologies are increasingly available to users to buy or to access through the cloud.
Previous chapters ...