Mastering Unreal Technology, Volume I: Introduction to Level Design with Unreal Engine 3 is your start-to-finish guide to modding and level design with the world’s hottest new gaming engine: Unreal Engine 3. Here’s everything you need to know to jumpstart your skills and create stunning new content and games for consoles and PCs alike! Your authors aren’t just the world’s #1 Unreal game development trainers: They’ve even built the training modules that shipped with Unreal Tournament 3: Limited Collector’s Edition. Now, working with the full cooperation of Unreal Engine 3’s creators, Epic Games, they introduce every facet of game development—from simple level creation to materials, lighting, and terrain...even advanced level optimization and streaming!
Packed with tips, hands-on tutorials, and expert techniques, Mastering Unreal Technology, Volume I is all you need to create levels that look spectacular and work brilliantly...levels that gamers just can’t stop playing!
You’ll find expert tips on
Understanding the game development process from start to finish
Planning projects for greater efficiency, faster delivery, and better quality
Crafting worlds with stunning beauty and clarity
Bringing amazing realism to characters, objects, and props
Making the most of Unreal Engine 3’s massively upgraded lighting system
Scripting complex gameplay quickly and easily with Unreal Kismet
Building animated game assets with Unreal Matinee
Testing game performance during live gameplay
Optimizing levels by improving the interaction between lights and surfaces
Using advanced level streaming to create vast, rich, highly playable levels
Winner of the Front Line Award for best game development book of 2009!
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Contents at a Glance
- Table of Contents
- About the Authors
- We Want to Hear from You!
- Reader Services
- Chapter 1. Introduction to Unreal Technology
- Chapter 2. Overview of Game Development
- Chapter 3. Up and Running: A Hands-On Level Creation Primer
- Chapter 4. A Universe of Brushes: World Geometry In-Depth
- Chapter 5. Static Meshes
- Chapter 6. Introduction to Materials
- Chapter 7. Introduction to Lighting
- Chapter 8. Terrain
- Chapter 9. Introduction to Unreal Kismet
- Chapter 10. Unreal Matinee
- Chapter 11. Level Optimization
- Chapter 12. Level Streaming.
- Appendix A. The Unreal Editor User’s Guide
- Appendix B. Ubuntu Equivalents to Windows Programs
- Where are the Companion Content Files?
- Title: Mastering Unreal Technology, Volume I: Introduction to Level Design with Unreal Engine 3
- Release date: July 2009
- Publisher(s): Sams
- ISBN: 9780768689006