IN THIS CHAPTER, YOU WILL LEARN
- The principles involved in serial communications.
- The terminology and standards of serial communications.
- RS-232 pins and connections.
- The use of the USART 8251 as an interface to computers.
- The modes and programming of 8251.
- The concept of direct memory access.
- The necessity and functions of a DMA controller in a computer system.
- Different types and modes of DMA.
- How to use the DMA controller IC 8237.
11.1 | Serial Communication Principles
Transferring data is what we mean when we use the word ‘communication’. Data is to be sent from the source to the destination, and it is necessary for the source and destination formats to be similar for compatibility between them ...