Problem Solving with a Computer
After reading this chapter, you should understand:
- Various aspects of problem solving by computer
- Significance of correctness and efficiency
- Fundamental issues in algorithm implementation
- Need for algorithm analysis and complexity study
- Steps involved in problem solving
The question of whether a computer can think is no more interesting than the question of whether a submarine can swim.
—Edsgar W. Dijkstra (1930–2002)
Computers have lots of memory but no imagination.