After reading this chapter, you should understand:
- The correct use of loops in programs
- Factors that affect the efficiency of algorithms
- How to estimate and specify execution times
- How to compare algorithms in terms of their efficiency
- The Order Notation: Big-Oh, Omega, Theta, small omega, small-Oh and their properties
- Justification for the use of Problem size as a measure
- Some Tradeoffs in algorithm design
If architects worked on the same principle as software engineering, most buildings would end up looking like the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
A state-of-the-art calculation requires 100 hours of CPU time on the state-of-the-art computer, independent of the decade.
—Edward Teller ...