Most film editors, whether they are working on motion pictures,
broadcasts, live events, or video projects, all recognize that
there is a process to editing. It involves planning, editing your
story, adding transitions and effects, sweetening the audio,
correcting the color, and creating the output. Apple has made it
even easier to perform these tasks by combining their flagship
nonlinear editor, Final Cut Pro, with other tools into a complete
post-production package called Final Cut Studio.
Edit Well: Final Cut Studio Techniques from the Pros is the book that in-the-trenches editors have been waiting for. It offers a holistic approach to using the tools in Final Cut Studio for those who are responsible for a variety of tasks beyond just straight editing. Written by the preeminent experts and practicing professionals in their fields, contributors include Kevin Monahan, Mary Plummer, Mark Spencer, Tom Wolsky, and Alexis Van Hurkman, to name a few. Each chapter features each pro’s own insight on a particular tool in the Studio, whether it be Final Cut Pro, Soundtrack Pro, Motion and its 3D capabilities, or Color, a ground-breaking addition to the Studio for professional color grading.
Inside the book you’ll find:
• Practical, step-by-step techniques that cover the complete digital video workflow: editing, effects, motion, audio, color correction, and DVD authoring.
• Hard-to-find techniques on using Color and the 3D capabilities found in Motion.
• Expert insight and commentary by top professionals and trainers.
• Best-practice methods in editing, with tips on when and how to use a particular tool in real-life scenarios.
• Keyboard shortcuts to help you simplify your workflow.
• References to video tutorials and audio interviews of top Final Cut Pro editors around the world, available for free on the companion Web site.
Table of Contents
- About the Contributors
1. Final Cut Pro Editing
- 1. Customizing the Final Cut Pro Interface
- 2. Techniques for Smarter Selection and Trimming
3. Transitions: Beyond the Straight Cut
- Applying Transitions
- Changing the Default Transition
- Insert and Overwrite with Transition
- Organizing Custom Transitions
- Aligning Transitions
- Duplicating Transitions
- Swapping Transitions
- 4. Exporting Still Images from Final Cut Pro
- 5. Removing Pulldown Frames with Cinema Tools
- 6. An Archiving Solution for Final Cut Studio 2
2. Final Cut Pro Effects
- 7. Blending the Light Away with Composite Modes
- 8. “Film It Up” with Composite Modes and Filters
- 9. Using Masks and Mattes in Final Cut Pro
- 10. Adding Stability with SmoothCam
3. 3D in Motion
- 11. Foundations of 3D in Motion
- 12. Using Cameras and Navigating in 3D Space
13. Animating Cameras in Motion’s 3D Space with Keyframes
- The Three Rules
- Animating the Camera: Keyframes or Behaviors?
- Moving the Camera with the Frame Objects Command
- Lather, Rinse, Repeat
- Polishing the Animation
- Taking It Up a Notch
- 14. Animating Cameras in Motion’s 3D Space Using Behaviors
4. Soundtrack Pro
- 15. Clean Up Your Audio
- 16. Sound Advice: Mixing
- 17. Media Management in Soundtrack Pro 2
- 18. Setting Up Your Color System
- 19. Roundtripping with Color
- 20. Using Curve Controls in the Primary In Room
- 21. Adjusting Red, Green, and Blue Channel Curves
- 22. Making Color Adjustments in the Primary In Room
6. Additional Tools
- 23. Hidden Secrets in LiveType
- 24. International Versioning and the Power of LiveType
- 25. Creating Stories in DVD Studio Pro
26. Final Cut Server: Ten Ways It Can Help Manage Your Media
- A Quick Overview
- Searching the Catalog
- Drag and Drop Simplicity
- Accessing and Enriching Metadata
- Remote and Mobile Edit System Workflow
- Annotating Video Clips
- Productions Are Virtual Folders for Assets
- Supports Both Macintosh and Windows Clients
- One Final Note
- A. Secondary Color Correction Using Vignettes
B. Scripting 101 in DVD Studio Pro
- What Is Scripting?
- Why Use a Script?
- Getting Started
- Creating the First Script Element: The Startup Script
- Scripts that Set the Menu Values
- The Decision Script
- Title: Edit Well: Final Cut Studio Techniques from the Pros
- Release date: December 2008
- Publisher(s): Peachpit Press
- ISBN: 9780321606686