To manage business operations – let alone innovate – amid frequent restructurings, outsourcings and retirements, leaders must quickly capitalize on hidden know-how (knowledge). That is, know-how that lives inside their organizations or networks – in the teams, processes and experts that comprise them.
Yet, many organizations are coming up short in this race. Knowledge sharing and transfer have been reduced to reports, e-mails and tweets replacing vital personal interaction. The lack of meaningful conversation coupled with intense fragmentation across organizations and networks has left leaders floating in a sea of information and ideas without a map to channel insight into action.
Sharing Hidden Know-How starts the conversation that allows organizations to take what they know to the bank. The “how-to”/“how-act” guidebook unveils Knowledge Jam, a facilitated collaborative method for helping organizations rediscover the fundamental discipline of knowledge transfer – the conversation.
Developed by Katrina Pugh, president of AlignConsulting, the proven process uses human interaction to capture unwritten insights, and more importantly to put them to work. Offering a step-by-step process and practical tools,Sharing Hidden Know-How will help any organization harness untapped knowledge to solve today's thorny problems:
Accelerating New Product Development and Market and Segment Innovations
Maximizing Combined Knowledge in Mergers Integrations, Restructurings, Off-shoring and Outsourcing
Overcoming Information Overload (Focus on Social Media)
Smoothing Executive Transitions and Succession Planning
Smoothing Team Transitions
Spreading Insight across Geographies and Network Partners
Tapping into Sales Insights
Table of contents
- Praise for Sharing Hidden Know-How
- Title page
- Copyright page
- CHAPTER 1 KNOWLEDGE JAM RATIONALE: SOLVING THORNY PROBLEMS
- CHAPTER 2 KNOWLEDGE JAM BASICS
- CHAPTER 3 DISCIPLINE 1: FACILITATION
- CHAPTER 4 DISCIPLINE 2: CONVERSATION
- CHAPTER 5 DISCIPLINE 3: TRANSLATION
- CHAPTER 6 BESPECKLED, MARRIED, AND EMANCIPATED
- CHAPTER 7 KNOWLEDGE JAM HERITAGE: PREQUEL TO THE THREE DISCIPLINES
- CHAPTER 8 COMPARING KNOWLEDGE JAM TO OTHER KNOWLEDGE-CAPTURE METHODS
- CHAPTER 9 BUILDING A KNOWLEDGE JAM PRACTICE
- CHAPTER 10 KNOWLEDGE JAM FOR LEADING CHANGE AND LEVERAGING SOCIAL MEDIA
- CHAPTER 11 AN INVITATION
- APPENDIX A KNOWLEDGE TYPES
- APPENDIX B KNOWLEDGE JAM TEMPLATES
- APPENDIX C GLOSSARY OF TERMS
- APPENDIX D CASE STUDIES
APPENDIX E KNOWLEDGE JAM PRACTICE FAQS
- WHAT IS BETTER: AN OUTSIDE OR INSIDE FACILITATOR?
- CAN A BROKER BE AN ORIGINATOR?
- SHOULD I AUDIO-RECORD A KNOWLEDGE JAM?
- WHAT IF YOU CAN’T JAM IN REAL TIME? (THE WIKI ALTERNATIVE)
- WHERE DOES KNOWLEDGE JAM FIT IN A KM PROGRAM? DOES IT HAVE TO?
- HOW CAN KNOWLEDGE JAM JUMP-START AN ENTERPRISE 2.0 (SOCIAL MEDIA) INITIATIVE?
- THE AUTHOR
- Title: Sharing Hidden Know-How: How Managers Solve Thorny Problems with the Knowledge Jam
- Release date: March 2011
- Publisher(s): Jossey-Bass
- ISBN: 9780470876817
You might also like
Microsoft Excel 2019 Inside Out
Conquer Microsoft Excel 2019–from the inside out! Dive into Microsoft Excel 2019–and really put your spreadsheet …
Human Resource Management, 3rd Edition
Human Resource Management: Linking Strategy to Practice 3e is designed to help students understand traditional human …
Automate the Boring Stuff with Python
Automate the Boring Stuff with Python teaches simple programming skills to automate everyday computer tasks.
Project Management Analytics: A Data-Driven Approach to Making Rational and Effective Project Decisions
To manage projects, you must not only control schedules and costs: you must also manage growing …