O'Reilly logo

John Adair's 100 Greatest Ideas for Smart Decision Making by John Adair

Stay ahead with the world's most comprehensive technology and business learning platform.

With Safari, you learn the way you learn best. Get unlimited access to videos, live online training, learning paths, books, tutorials, and more.

Start Free Trial

No credit card required

Idea 63: How to tackle systems problems

Obstacle-type problems account for 80 per cent of the problems that leaders encounter, but you should also be aware of systems problems, the other 20 per cent. If you are a technical specialist, of course, those proportions are reversed and the majority of your working time will be spent on systems problems.

A system is a whole made up of integrated parts. It can be organic (your body), mechanical (your car engine) or a process (your system for billing customers). A systems problem is essentially a deviation from the norm. We can represent it visually by two lines, as in the diagram. The greater the difference between the normal performance (how the system is supposed to work) and the active performance ...

With Safari, you learn the way you learn best. Get unlimited access to videos, live online training, learning paths, books, interactive tutorials, and more.

Start Free Trial

No credit card required