Then, when the innovation fails to deliver as promised immediately, everyone starts bailing out. Investments are wasted; stock prices plunge; disillusionment sets in.
It doesn't have to be this way. In Mastering the Hype Cycle, Jackie Fenn and Mark Raskino explain what drives this pattern and how your company can avoid its potential dangers. By understanding the hype cycle, you can ride it more skillfully -- timing your investment decisions so that the innovations you adopt stand the best chance of succeeding in the long-term.
Drawing on company examples and Gartner's proven STREET (Scope, Track, Rank, Evaluate, Evangelize, Transfer) framework, the authors show how to orchestrate the key steps in the innovation-adoption process -- from choosing which innovations to take on and when in their life cycle you should adopt, to paving the way for a successful introduction.
The hype cycle isn't going away. But this book arms you with the strategies you need to ride the crest of a new idea to success -- and steer clear of the trough of disillusionment.
Table of contents
- Other Books in the Gartner
- Part I: The Hype Cycle
Part II: The STREET Process
- Five: What It Takes to Master the Hype Cycle
- Six: Scope: Establishing the Context for Innovation
- Seven: Track: Collecting the Innovation Candidates
- Eight: Rank: Prioritizing the Candidates
- Nine: Evaluate: Understanding Rewards and Risks
- Ten: Evangelize and Transfer: Making It Happen
- Eleven: Future Cycles
- About the Authors
- Title: Mastering the Hype Cycle: How to Choose the Right Innovation at the Right Time
- Release date: October 2008
- Publisher(s): Harvard Business Review Press
- ISBN: 9781422121108
You might also like
Infographics: The Power of Visual Storytelling
Transform your marketing efforts through the power of visual content In today's fast-paced environment, you must …
Technology Strategy Patterns
Technologists who want their ideas heard, understood, and funded are often told to speak the language …
The Influential Product Manager
This book is a comprehensive and practical guide to the core skills, activities, and behaviors that …
“Ed Hess's Hyper-Learning is uniquely practical and is the essential starting point for charting new ways …