Optimize and boost your Linux-based system with Yocto Project and increase its reliability and robustness efficiently and cost-effectively.
About This Book
- Optimize your Yocto Project tools to develop efficient Linux-based projects
- Practical approach to learning Linux development using Yocto Project
- Demonstrates concepts in a practical and easy-to-understand way
Who This Book Is For
If you are an embedded Linux developer with a basic knowledge of Yocto Project and want to broaden your knowledge with examples of embedded development, then this book is for you. This book is also for professionals who want to find new insights into working methodologies for Linux development.
What You Will Learn
- Understand the basic concepts involved in Poky workflows along with configuring and preparing the Poky build environment.
- Configure a build server and customize images using Toaster.
- Generate images and fit packages into created images using BitBake.
- Support the development process by setting up and using Package feeds.
- Debug Yocto Project by configuring Poky.
- Build an image for the BeagleBone Black, RaspberryPi 3, and Wandboard, and boot it from an SD card.
Yocto Project is turning out to be the best integration framework for creating reliable embedded Linux projects. It has the edge over other frameworks because of its features such as less development time and improved reliability and robustness.
Embedded Linux Development using Yocto Project starts with an in-depth explanation of all Yocto Project tools, to help you perform different Linux-based tasks. The book then moves on to in-depth explanations of Poky and BitBake. It also includes some practical use cases for building a Linux subsystem project using Yocto Project tools available for embedded Linux. The book also covers topics such as SDK, recipetool, and others.
By the end of the book, you will have learned how to generate and run an image for real hardware boards and will have gained hands-on experience at building efficient Linux systems using Yocto Project.
Style and approach
A clear, concise, and straightforward book that will enable you to use and implement the latest features of Yocto Project.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- About the Authors
- About the Reviewer
- Customer Feedback
- Meeting the Yocto Project
- Baking Our Poky-Based System
- Using Toaster to Bake an Image
Grasping the BitBake Tool
- Understanding the BitBake tool
- Exploring metadata
- Parsing metadata
- Preferring and providing recipes
- Fetching the source code
- Understanding BitBake's tasks
- Generating a root filesystem image
- Detailing the Temporary Build Directory
- Assimilating Packaging Support
Diving into BitBake Metadata
- Working with metadata
- The basic variable setting
- Variable expansion
- Setting a default value using ?=
- Setting a default value using ??=
- Immediate variable expansion
- Appending and prepending
- Override syntax operators
- Conditional metadata set
- Conditional appending
- File inclusion
- Python variable expansion
- Defining executable metadata
- Defining Python functions in the global namespace
- The inheritance system
- Using metadata
- Developing with the Yocto Project
- Debugging with the Yocto Project
- Exploring External Layers
Creating Custom Layers
- Making a new layer
- Adding metadata to the layer
- Creating an image
- Adding a package recipe
- Adding support to a new machine definition
- Using a custom distribution
- MACHINE_FEATURES versus DISTRO_FEATURES
- Understanding the variables scope
- Customizing Existing Recipes
Achieving GPL Compliance
- Understanding copyleft
- Managing software licensing with Poky
- Using Poky to achieve copyleft compliance
Booting Our Custom Embedded Linux
- Exploring the boards
- Discovering the right BSP layer
- Baking for the hardware
- Booting our baked image
- Next steps
- Title: Embedded Linux Development using Yocto Projects - Second Edition
- Release date: November 2017
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781788470469
You might also like
10+ Hours of Video Instruction Linux Fundamentals LiveLessons has more than 10 hours of comprehensive video …
51+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Python development with …
How Linux Works, 2nd Edition
The "hows" and "whys" of How Linux Works: for administrators, programmers, and enthusiasts who want to …
The Linux Programming Interface
The Linux Programming Interface is the definitive guide to the Linux and UNIX programming interface—the interface …