After reading this chapter, you will be able to:
1. explain communication context;
2. explain the power of leaders;
3. explain organizational communication climate;
4. discuss established levels of organizational culture;
5. differentiate formal from informal communication networks.
Context is the physical, social, and psychological environment where communication interaction takes place. Imagine a 45-year-old manager paying a compliment to a 22-year-old administrative assistant, just hired, on her wardrobe. He tells her, “You look very professional today and ideal for our company.” Much to the manager’s chagrin, the administrative assistant asks, in a rather scornful tone, “What are ...