Everybody has to make decisions—they are unavoidable. Yet we receive little or no education or training on how to make decisions. Business decisions can be dif_ cult: which people to hire, which product lines or facilities to expand and which to sell or shut down, which bid or proposal to accept, which process to implement, how much R&D to invest in, which environmental projects should receive the highest priority, etc. This book gives you all the tools you need to… • clarify and reach alignment on goals and objectives and understand trade-offs in reaching those goals, • develop and examine alternatives, • systematically analyze the effects of risk and uncertainty, and • maximize the chances of achieving your goals and objectives. Success (getting what you want) depends on luck and good decision making. You can’t control your luck, but you can maximize your odds by making the best possible decisions, and this book gets you there. Broadly speaking, this book organizes and presents otherwise formal decision-making tools in an intuitively understandable fashion. The presentation is informal, but the concepts and tools are research-based and formally accepted.
Table of contents
- Half Title
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Chapter 1 What Is Decision Analysis?: And Why Should I Care?
- Chapter 2 How to Start Framing a DA Problem: How Can We Work Together?
- Chapter 3 The Objectives Hierarchy: What Do We Want?
- Chapter 4 Decisions and Alternatives: What Can We Do?
- Chapter 5 Influence Diagrams: What Do We Know?
- Chapter 6 Uncertainty Assessment: The Boundary Between Known and Unknown
- Chapter 7 Building a Deterministic Model: Time to Run the Numbers
- Chapter 8 Tornado Diagrams: Figuring Out What Is Important
- Chapter 9 Cumulative Probability: Looking at the Range of Outcomes
- Chapter 10 Value of Information: How Much Is It Worth to Know?
- Chapter 11 Multi attribute Decision Analysis: There’s More to Life than Money
- Chapter 12 Other Topics: More Th ings to Think About
- Ad Page
- Back Cover
- Title: Decision Analysis for Managers
- Release date: March 2013
- Publisher(s): Business Expert Press
- ISBN: 9781606494899
You might also like
Strategic Analysis and Choice
Strategy and strategic planning at the firm level often gets a bad reputation because managers aren't …
Strategic Marketing Planning for the Small to Medium Sized Business
Eighty percent of small to medium sized new businesses fail within 2 years of their inception. …
The Best Thinking in Business Analytics from the Decision Sciences Institute
Today, business success depends on making great decisions – and making them fast. Leading organizations apply …
The Data-Driven Project Manager: A Statistical Battle Against Project Obstacles
Discover solutions to common obstacles faced by project managers. Written as a business novel, the book …