“The 53 Truths provide incredible insight into the art and science of negotiating. This is a must read for sales professionals but is equally beneficial to all who wish to be better negotiators.”
–CHRIS WEBER, Vice President, West Region Enterprise, Microsoft Corporation
“Negotiation skills can and must be learned. In her new book, Leigh provides the framework. A must read for negotiators at all levels of ability.”
–ANTHONY SANTIAGO, Vice President, Global Sourcing & Supplier Management, Bristol-Myers Squibb
“A superbly presented summary of practical tools and techniques for negotiating in all types of situations, and creating win-win solutions that result in enduring business relationships. Provides substantiated evidence of what works successfully–and pitfalls to avoid–in the game of negotiation.”
–RUSSELL D’SOUZA, International Credit Manager, Hallmark Cards, Inc.
You can learn to be a world-class negotiator and get what you want!
• The truth about how to prepare within one hour
• The truth about negotiating with friends, colleagues, and spouses
• The truth about the win-win litmus test
This book reveals 53 PROVEN NEGOTIATION PRINCIPLES and bite-size, easy-to-use techniques that work.
Table of contents
- About This eBook
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Praise for The Truth About Negotiations
- Truth 1. If you have only one hour to prepare...
- Truth 2. Negotiation: A natural gift?
- Truth 3. Rehearsal might get you to Carnegie, but it won’t help you negotiate
- Truth 4. The power of making the first offer
- Truth 5. What if you don’t make the first offer?
- Truth 6. Don’t be a tough or a nice negotiator
- Truth 7. Four sand traps in the golf game of negotiation
- Truth 8. Your industry is unique (and other myths)
- Truth 9. Identify your BATNA
- Truth 10. It’s alive! Constantly improve your BATNA
- Truth 11. Don’t reveal your BATNA
- Truth 12. Don’t lie about your BATNA
- Truth 13. Signal your BATNA
- Truth 14. Research the other party’s BATNA
- Truth 15. Develop your reservation price
- Truth 16. Beware of ZOPA myopia
- Truth 17. Set optimistic but realistic aspirations
- Truth 18. Plan your concessions
- Truth 19. Be aware of the “even-split” ploy
- Truth 20. The pregame
- Truth 21. The game
- Truth 22. The postgame
- Truth 23. What does “win-win” really mean?
- Truth 24. Satisficing versus optimizing
- Truth 25. There are really only two kinds of negotiations
- Truth 26. Ask triple-I questions
- Truth 27. Reveal your interests
- Truth 28. Negotiate issues simultaneously, not sequentially
- Truth 29. Logrolling (I scratch your back, you scratch mine)
- Truth 30. Make multiple offers of equivalent value simultaneously
- Truth 31. Postsettlement settlements
- Truth 32. Contingent agreements
- Truth 33. Are you an enlightened negotiator?
- Truth 34. The reciprocity principle
- Truth 35. The reinforcement principle
- Truth 36. The similarity principle
- Truth 37. Know when to drop an anchor
- Truth 38. The framing effect
- Truth 39. Responding to temper tantrums
- Truth 40. What’s your sign? (Know your disputing style)
- Truth 41. Using power responsibly
- Truth 42. Saving face
- Truth 43. How to negotiate with someone you hate
- Truth 44. How to negotiate with someone you love
- Truth 45. Building the winning negotiation team
- Truth 46. What if they arrive with a team?
- Truth 47. Of men, women, and pie-slicing
- Truth 48. Know why the fish swim
- Truth 49. It does not make sense to always get to the point...
- Truth 50. Negotiating on the phone
- Truth 51. Your reputation
- Truth 52. Building trust
- Truth 53. Repairing broken trust
- About the Author
- Title: The Truth About Negotiations
- Release date: September 2007
- Publisher(s): Pearson
- ISBN: 9780136007364
You might also like
Hands-On Transfer Learning with Python
Deep learning simplified by taking supervised, unsupervised, and reinforcement learning to the next level using the …
Master the art of getting what you need with a more collaborative approach to negotiation Quantum …
The Intelligent Investor, Rev. Ed
More than one million hardcovers sold Now available for the first time in paperback! The Classic …
The Procurement and Supply Manager's Desk Reference, + Website, 2nd Edition
Every supply manager's essential desktop tool with in-depth, authoritative coverage of each topic Leaving no stone …