There's really nothing mysterious about getting people to change their minds. No special, inborn gifts. No subliminal tricks.
Instead, the best persuaders--advertisers, salespeople, politicians, spin doctors--depend on the fact that everyone responds to messages in just two ways: thoughtfully or mindlessly. And they know how to manipulate these two persuasion routes to make even the most doubtful say "yes."
Jam-packed with fascinating case studies and surprising examples, this comprehensive, entertaining how-to guide puts the powerful tool of persuasion at anyone's disposal. It explains:
How the master persuaders--the Churchills, Lincolns, and Roosevelts--create powerful, memorable messages that convince people of their arguments' logic and rightness.
How successful persuaders exploit the psychological triggers that cause people to subconsciously move from "no" to "yes."
Table of contents
- Preface: Manipulation, Seduction, and Persuasion Why I Wrote This Book
- How High Is Your Persuasion IQ?
- HOW PERSUASION WORKS
- Foxes, Bloodhounds, and Donkeys The Three Types of Influencers
- Persuasion Starts with Credibility How to Build Trust and Sell Your Expertise
- First Impression, Best Impression The Art of Image Management
- Reading the Other Person How to Use Personality Type to Persuade
- Power Talk! How to Give Words Added Impact
- Winning People's Hearts The Power of Metaphors, Analogies, and Stories
- Winning People's Minds How to Structure and Package Your Message
- Power Pitches How to Persuade with Graphs, Charts, and Videos
- Ask, Don't Tell! The Gentle Art of Self-Persuasion
- Different Groups, Different Messages How to Target and Influence Different Groups
- Strategy Pure and Simple How to Outthink and Outwit Your Opponents
- Mindless Persuasion The Seven Persuasion Triggers of Automatic Influence
- Persuasion Trigger One: Contrast The Power of a Benchmark
- Persuasion Trigger Two: Reciprocation The Law of Give-and-Take
- Persuasion Trigger Three: Commitment and Consistency Getting One Foot in the Door
- Persuasion Trigger Four: Authority The Influence of Position
- Persuasion Trigger Five: Scarcity The Rule of the Rare
- Persuasion Trigger Six: Conformity Everyone Is Doing It
- Persuasion Trigger Seven: Liking Friends Won't Let You Down
- PERSUASION AT ITS BEST
- Title: Artful Persuasion: How to Command Attention, Change Minds and Influence People
- Release date: February 2000
- Publisher(s): AMACOM
- ISBN: 0814470637
You might also like
What’s Your Story?: Storytelling to Move Markets, Audiences, People, and Brands
“As usual these two future-finders have their fi ngers on the pulse of what’s happening--and what …
Personal Branding For Dummies, 2nd Edition
The simple guide to managing your personal brand, a vital element of success in the professional …
Clout: The Art and Science of Influential Web Content
Results. Everyone wants them, whether to sell more products, spread good ideas, or win more funding. …
Influence You'll learn the six universal principles, how to use them to become a skilled persuader—and …