Create engaging Augmented Reality (AR) applications with Unity 3D that can be experienced with devices such as HoloLens and Daydream
- Learn the principles of AR application development
- Work with the most popular sensors used in AR games and applications across Android, Apple and Windows
- Build experiences with interactive objects, physics, UI, animations, and C# scripting
Augmented Reality allows for radical innovations in countless areas. It magically blends the physical and virtual worlds, bringing applications from a screen into your hands. Meanwhile, Unity has now become the leading platform to develop augmented reality experiences, as it provides a great pipeline for working with 3D assets.
Using a practical and project-based approach, Unity 2018 Augmented Reality Projects educates you about the specifics of augmented reality development in Unity 2018.
This book teaches you how to use Unity in order to develop AR applications which can be experienced with devices such as HoloLens and Daydream. You will learn to integrate, animate, and overlay 3D objects on your camera feed, before gradually moving on to implementing sensor-based AR applications. In addition to this, you will explore the technical considerations that are especially important and possibly unique to AR. The projects in the book demonstrate how you can build a variety of AR experiences, whilst also giving insights into C# programming as well as the Unity 3D game engine via the interactive Unity Editor.
By the end of the book, you will be equipped to develop rich, interactive augmented reality experiences for a range of AR devices and platforms using Unity.
What you will learn
- Build and run AR applications for specific headsets, including HoloLens and Daydream
- Create 3D scenes with Unity and other 3D tools while learning about world space and scale
- Move around your AR scenes using locomotion and teleportation
- Create filters or overlays that work in tandem with facial recognition software
- Use GPS, geolocation services, and the camera feed to create a fitness application
- Integrate AR and VR concepts together in a single application
Who this book is for
Unity 2018 Augmented Reality Projects is for you if you're a game developer familiar with 3D computer graphics and interested in building your own AR games or applications. Any experience in Unity and C# is an advantage.
Downloading the example code for this book You can download the example code files for all Packt books you have purchased from your account at http://www.PacktPub.com. If you purchased this book elsewhere, you can visit http://www.PacktPub.com/support and register to have the files e-mailed directly to you.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Copyright and Credits
- Packt Upsell
What AR is and How to Get Set up
- Available AR packages
- Advantages and disadvantages of the different AR toolkits available
- Building our first AR applications
GIS Fundamentals - The Power of Mapping
- What is GIS?
- Statistics used with GIS
- The implications of GIS in society
- GIS and augmented reality
- Applications of GIS
- Gaming and GIS
- Censored - Various Sensor Data and Plugins
The Sound of Flowery Prose
- Project overview
- Getting started
- Conceptualizing the project
- Setting up the Unity project
- Code implementation details
- Working with XCode
- Further reading
- Picture Puzzle - The AR Experience
- Fitness for Fun - Tourism and Random Walking
- Snap it! Adding Filters to Pictures
To the HoloLens and Beyond
- What is Mixed Reality, and how does it work?
- Getting Mixed Reality ready
- Project overview
- Playing with Mixed Reality
- Further reading
- Other Books You May Enjoy
- Title: Unity 2018 Augmented Reality Projects
- Release date: July 2018
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781788838764
You might also like
Augmented Reality for Developers
Build exciting AR applications on mobile and wearable devices with Unity 3D, Vuforia, ARToolKit, Microsoft Mixed …
Learning C# by Developing Games with Unity 2019 - Fourth Edition
Understand the fundamentals of C# programming and get started with coding from ground up in an …
Augmented Reality: Principles and Practice
Today’s Comprehensive and Authoritative Guide to Augmented Reality By overlaying computer-generated information on the real world, …
Unity Virtual Reality Projects - Second Edition
Explore the latest features of Unity 2018 to create immersive VR projects for Oculus Rift, HTC …