Inserting a Table of Contents
Want to include a table of contents (TOC) in your project? Just follow these steps:
1. Add a new text document in the Binder by clicking the Add button in the toolbar.
Alternatively, choose Project⇒New Text.
Skip to Step 2 if you’re planning to insert the TOC within an existing document.
2. In the Binder, select the desired documents that you want include in the TOC.
You must select all items that you want to include. (Choosing a folder doesn’t include its subdocuments.)
To expand all items in the Binder for easy selection, click in the Binder, and then choose View⇒Outline⇒Expand All.
3. Choose Edit⇒Copy Special⇒Copy Documents as TOC.
4. Select the document in which you want to insert the TOC.
5. Click in the Editor to position the cursor at the desired location within the document, and then choose Edit⇒Paste.
The list of selected Binder items is pasted into the document, along with placeholder tags (covered in Chapter 12) that automatically insert the page number when the project is compiled by using the Print, PDF, or RTF output type (for more on compiling, see Part IV).
You can click the page tags to view the linked document. How the document opens depends on the Navigation settings, which are covered in the preceding section.