Join Kanna, Kanta, Yamane, and Gloria in The Manga Guide to the Universe as they explore our solar system, the Milky Way, and faraway galaxies in search of the universe's greatest mysteries: dark matter, cosmic expansion, and the Big Bang itself.
Table of contents
- Praise for the Manga Guide series
- Prologue: A Tale That Begins on the Moon (1/2)
Prologue: A Tale That Begins on the Moon (2/2)
- The Story of Kaguya-hime (1/2)
- The Story of Kaguya-hime (2/2)
- Cosmic Myths
- In China, Where Astronomy Was Originally Developed
- In Ancient Greece, Where the Size of Earth Was Calculated
- If Earth Is Round, the Moon Must be Round Too
Chapter 1: Is Earth the Center of the Universe?
- A Mysterious Light Appeared in the Sky
- Close Encounters (1/2)
- Close Encounters (2/2)
- Does the Sun Revolve Around Earth? (1/2)
- Does the Sun Revolve Around Earth? (2/2)
- A Heliocentric Model Was Proposed 2,300 Years Ago (1/2)
- A Heliocentric Model Was Proposed 2,300 Years Ago (2/2)
- From the Geocentric Theory to the Heliocentric Theory (1/2)
- From the Geocentric Theory to the Heliocentric Theory (2/2)
- Galileo’s Discoveries—And Trial
- Putting things in perspective (1/2)
- Putting things in perspective (2/2)
- What Is the Approximate Distance to the Horizon?
- Measuring the Size of the Universe: How Far to the Moon?
- Geocentric Theory vs. Heliocentric Theory—the Outcome of a Battle Royale
A Somewhat Complicated Explanation of Kepler’s Laws
- First Law: The Orbit of Every Planet Is an Ellipse with the Sun at the Focus
- Second Law: A Line Joining a Planet and the Sun Sweeps Out Equal Areas During Equal Intervals of Time
- Third Law: The Square of the Orbital Period of a Planet Is Directly Proportional to the Cube of the Semimajor Axis of Its Orbit
Chapter 2: From the Solar System to the Milky Way
- What If Kaguya-hime Came from a Planet in our Solar System?
- Kaguya-hime and the Solar System
- The Size of the Milky Way Galaxy
- What’s in the Middle of the Galaxy?
- Top Five Mysteries of the Galaxy That Have Not Yet Been Explained!
- The Milky Way Galaxy Is One of Many Galaxies (1/2)
- The Milky Way Galaxy Is One of Many Galaxies (2/2)
The Universe Is Steadily Getting Larger
- Why Can We See the Milky Way?
- A Disc-Shaped Galactic Model Is the Easiest to Understand
- Results of Scientific Observation Also Prove a Disc-Shaped Universe
- An Idea from Kant Enlarged the Perceived Universe in a Flash
- How Did Technology for Observing the Universe Progress?
- Famous Telescopes
- What Can a Radio Telescope Observe?
- Another Way to Measure the Size of the Universe: A Triangulation Trick
- How Big Is the Solar System?
Chapter 3: The Universe Was Born With a Big Bang
- Galaxies Are Islands of Light in the Void of Space
- The Winning Team Learns a Lesson (1/2)
- The Winning Team Learns a Lesson (2/2)
- What Is the Large-Scale Structure of the Cosmos?
- Hubble’s Great Discovery
- If the Universe Is Expanding... (1/2)
- If the Universe Is Expanding... (2/2)
- Everything Started with the Big Bang
- Hubble’s Theory of the Expansion of the Universe Was Imperfect
- Three Pieces of Evidence for the Big Bang Theory (1/3)
- Three Pieces of Evidence for the Big Bang Theory (2/3)
- Three Pieces of Evidence for the Big Bang Theory (3/3)
Do Aliens Exist?
- Calculating the Number of Extraterrestrial Civilizations
- Extraterrestrial Life and a World-Renowned Physicist
- Has Life Been Created Often?
- Which Is the Closest Star System That Could Support Extraterrestrial Life?
- Can We Contact an Extraterrestrial Civilization?
- Tardigrades (Water Bears) Are the Toughest Astronauts
- A Third Method of Measuring the Size of the Universe: If You Know the Properties of a Star, Can You Figure Out How Far away It Is?
- Chapter 4: What Is It Like at the Edge of the Universe?
Chapter 5: Our Ever-Expanding Universe
- The Big Show
- The Multiverse Contains Numerous Universes
- The Edge, Birth, and End of the Universe...
- What Will Ultimately Become of the Universe?
- WMAP and Our Flat Universe
- The True Age of the Universe
- About the Author
- About theSupervising Editor
- Production Team for the Japanese Edition
- More Manga Guides
- Gallery of Astronomical Marvels (1/2)
- Gallery of Astronomical Marvels (2/2)
- Title: The Manga Guide to the Universe
- Release date: August 2011
- Publisher(s): No Starch Press
- ISBN: 9781593272678
You might also like
Digital Signal Processing 101, 2nd Edition
Digital Signal Processing 101: Everything You Need to Know to Get Started provides a basic tutorial …
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …
Introducing Python, 2nd Edition
Easy to understand and fun to read, this updated edition of Introducing Python is ideal for …
Python for Programmers, First Edition
The professional programmer's Deitel® guide to Python® with introductory artificial intelligence case studies Written for programmers …