Connecting Workgroup Manager to a Shared Domain
As with several topics in this book, you need to know the basics of Workgroup Manager. You can run Workgroup Manager from any network-connected system or directly on an Open Directory server. (Remember, you have to download Workgroup Manager as part of the Server Admin Tools package, available at
www.apple.com/support/downloads.) Follow these steps to launch and connect to the directory in Workgroup Manager:
1. Launch the Workgroup Manager application from
on your client system.
2. Choose Server⇒Connect.
3. In the Address field of the dialog that appears, enter the IP address or host name of the directory server.
4. Authenticate as the server’s local administrator by typing in the Username and Password fields.
5. Click the Connect button.
6. Choose the shared directory domain from the pop-up menu just above the list of users in Workgroup Manager.
If this is strictly an Open Directory domain and you’re working directly on the Open Directory server, choose
/LDAPv3/127.0.0.1. If you’re working on a connected system, choose
your hostname or IP address. If you’re using Active Directory, choose
Your Domain from the list. Other choices are possible, depending on your directory configuration.
7. Click the lock icon to the right of the Shared Directory pop-up menu and authenticate as the directory administrator that you created as part of the directory configuration.
You’re now ready ...