People skills, also known as interpersonal skills, are the key to success in work and life. It seems like common sense, but so many people have difficulty grasping and mastering the most effective ways to interact with others, especially in an increasingly digital world. In this book, readers get:
- How-to advice on the foundations of effective communication, including listening, empathy, clarity, conversation skills, and diplomacy.
- Examples of interactions in various work and life situations, including those that went well and those that didn't-with advice to improving outcomes.
- Tips on understanding and maximizing nonverbal communication, such as facial expressions, voice tone, posture, and gestures.
- How to courageously and assertively handle conflict and have difficult conversations, such as bad news, disagreements, apologies, and resignations.
- Tips on profiling the audience, and public speaking to large or small groups.
- Steps for being more influential and persuasive, collaborating effectively with partners, and knowing when to stay silent.
- Dealing with differences, coping with difficult people, and identifying one's own unique gifts and style.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
Part 1: All You Need to Know About Communication Basics
- 1 What Happens in Great Communication?
2 How to Be a Great Listener
- The Importance of Listening
- Why Listen?
- How Do People Know You’re Listening?
- Learning to Be a Better Listener
- Taking Listening to the Next Level: Empathy
- 3 Developing Great Conversation Skills
- 4 Meeting and Greeting Friends and Strangers
Part 2: The Number-One Communication Skill: Nonverbal Communication
5 What Is Nonverbal Communication?
- Understanding Nonverbals
- Why Are Nonverbals Important?
- Communicating with Facial Expressions
- Being Intentional About Smiling
- The Art of Looking Fascinated
- Other Winning Facial Expressions
- Be Observant of Others
6 Other Nonverbal Ways You Communicate
- Energy and Presence: How to Enter a Room
- Posture and Mien
- How Head Motion and Tilting Send a Message
- Hand Gestures That Engage, Not Distract
- Hidden Messages You May Be Sending
- Being Present
- Electronics vs. People
- Asking for a Nonverbal Assessment
- 7 Why Tone of Voice Matters
- 5 What Is Nonverbal Communication?
Part 3: Handling Routine Conflict, Difficult People, and Awkward Situations
- 8 Dealing with Conflict
9 Preparing for Important Conversations
- Taking the Time to Prepare
- Closing the Gaps Between You and Your Partner
- Setting Yourself Up for Success
- 10 Handling the Five Most Difficult Conversations
- 11 Being Assertive vs. Being Aggressive
12 Coping with Conflict and Difficult People
- Understanding Difficult People
- Responding to Your Dragon
- Other Types of Difficult People
- Identifying the Difficult People in Your Life—and Yourself
Part 4: Building Strong, Rewarding Relationships
13 From Acquaintance to Friend
- How Does a Friendship Start?
- Don’t Fish in Empty Ponds
- Beginnings and “Touches”
- You May Not Recognize a Friend at First
- Overlooking the Small Stuff
- Looking for Complements, Not Clones
- Being the Friend You Want Others to Be to You
14 Building and Maintaining Special Friendships
- How to Build Friendships That Bring You Joy
- Friendship Fizzlers
- Friendship Maintenance Can Be Fun
- 15 Being Influential and Persuasive
16 Giving Clear Information
- How to Be Clear
- Organizing Your Information
- 17 Collaborating with Partners
- 18 When to Stay Silent
- 13 From Acquaintance to Friend
Part 5: Dealing with Differences in Communication
- 19 Embracing Differences in Culture
20 Identifying and Adapting Your Unique Gifts and Style
- Identifying Your Style
- The Sensor
- The Intuitor
- The Analytical
- The Emotive
- People Skills 101: Adapting Your Style to Other Styles
- Emotional Intelligence
- Introverts and Extroverts
- You May Have Other Gifts
- 21 Adapting to Generational Differences in Communication
Part 6: Speaking to Groups
- 22 Speaking to a Team or Small Group
- 23 Speaking Formally to a Large Group
- About the Author
- Title: People Skills
- Release date: November 2014
- Publisher(s): Alpha
- ISBN: 9781615646432
You might also like
The Power of People Skills
People are the problem. They're always the problem. If a business person goes home frustrated, if …
Communication Skills and Soft Skills
Communication Skills and Soft Skills: An Integrated Approach is an invaluable guide to students of professional …
The ACE of Soft Skills: Attitude, Communication and Etiquette for Success
The ACE of Soft Skills: Attitude, Communication and Etiquette for Success is a part of this …
Business Express: Effective Communication Skills
If you need to be in the know in no time at all, Business Express will …