People skills, also known as interpersonal skills, are the key to success in work and life. It seems like common sense, but so many people have difficulty grasping and mastering the most effective ways to interact with others, especially in an increasingly digital world. In this book, readers get:
- How-to advice on the foundations of effective communication, including listening, empathy, clarity, conversation skills, and diplomacy.
- Examples of interactions in various work and life situations, including those that went well and those that didn't-with advice to improving outcomes.
- Tips on understanding and maximizing nonverbal communication, such as facial expressions, voice tone, posture, and gestures.
- How to courageously and assertively handle conflict and have difficult conversations, such as bad news, disagreements, apologies, and resignations.
- Tips on profiling the audience, and public speaking to large or small groups.
- Steps for being more influential and persuasive, collaborating effectively with partners, and knowing when to stay silent.
- Dealing with differences, coping with difficult people, and identifying one's own unique gifts and style.