Book descriptionThe definitive reference book with real-world solutions you won't find anywhere else
TheBig Book of Dashboards presents a comprehensive reference for those tasked with building or overseeing the development of business dashboards.
Comprising dozens of examples that address different industries and departments (healthcare, transportation, finance, human resources, marketing, customer service, sports, etc.) and different platforms (print, desktop, tablet, smartphone, and conference room display) The Big Book of Dashboards is the only book that matches great dashboards with real-world business scenarios.
By organizing the book based on these scenarios and offering practical and effective visualization examples, The Big Book of Dashboards will be the trusted resource that you open when you need to build an effective business dashboard.
In addition to the scenarios there's an entire section of the book that is devoted to addressing many practical and psychological factors you will encounter in your work. It's great to have theory and evidenced-based research at your disposal, but what will you do when somebody asks you to make your dashboard 'cooler' by adding packed bubbles and donut charts?
The expert authors have a combined 30-plus years of hands-on experience helping people in hundreds of organizations build effective visualizations. They have fought many 'best practices' battles and having endured bring an uncommon empathy to help you, the reader of this book, survive and thrive in the data visualization world.
A well-designed dashboard can point out risks, opportunities, and more; but common challenges and misconceptions can make your dashboard useless at best, and misleading at worst. The Big Book of Dashboards gives you the tools, guidance, and models you need to produce great dashboards that inform, enlighten, and engage.
Table of contents
- About the Authors
- PART I A STRONG FOUNDATION
PART II THE SCENARIOS
- Chapter 2 Course Metrics Dashboard
- Chapter 3 Comparing Individual Performance with Peers
- Chapter 4 What-If Analysis: Wage Increase Ramifications
- Chapter 5 Executive Sales Dashboard
- Chapter 6 Ranking by Now, Comparing with Then
- Chapter 7 Are We on Pace to Reach Our Goals?
- Chapter 8 Multiple Key Performance Metrics
- Chapter 9 Power Plant Operations Monitoring
- Chapter 10 Showing Year-to-Date and Year-over-Year at the Same Time
- Chapter 11 Premier League Player Performance Metrics
- Chapter 12 RBS 6 Nations Championship Match Performance Analysis
- Chapter 13 Web Analytics
- Chapter 14 Patient History Analysis of Recent Hospital Admissions
- Chapter 15 Hospitality Dashboard for Hotel Management
- Chapter 16 Sentiment Analysis: Showing Overall Distribution
- Chapter 17 Showing Sentiment with Net Promoter Score
- Chapter 18 Server Process Monitoring
- Chapter 19 Big Mac Index
- Chapter 20 Complaints Dashboard
- Chapter 21 Hospital Operating Room Utilization
- Chapter 22 Showing Rank and Magnitude
- Chapter 23 Measuring Claims across Multiple Measures and Dimensions
- Chapter 24 Showing Churn or Turnover
- Chapter 25 Showing Actual versus Potential Utilization
- Chapter 26 Health Care Provider Productivity Monitoring
- Chapter 27 Telecom Operator Executive Dashboard
- Chapter 28 Economy at a Glance
- Chapter 29 Call Center
PART III SUCCEEDING IN THE REAL WORLD
- Chapter 30 Want to Engage People? Make Your Dashboards Personal
Chapter 31 Visualizing Time
- How Much Time Do You Want to See?
- How Does Today Compare with the Start of a Time Period?
- Are There Cyclical Patterns in My Data?
- How Can I Look Up Trends Across Two Time Dimensions?
- How Can I Look at Rank, Not Value, Over Time?
- How Can I Compare Growth Rates of Things That Happen at Different Times?
- How Can I Show the Duration of Events?
- How Can I Focus on Bottlenecks in a Process?
- Which Time Chart Should I Use on My Dashboard?
- Chapter 32 Beware the Dead-End Dashboard
- Chapter 33 The Allure of Red and Green
- Chapter 34 The Allure of Pies and Donuts
- Chapter 35 Clouds and Bubbles
- Chapter 36 A Journey into the Unknown
- Title: The Big Book of Dashboards
- Release date: April 2017
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781119282716
You might also like
Visual Analytics with Tableau
A four-color journey through a complete Tableau visualization Tableau is a popular data visualization tool that’s …
Practical Statistics for Data Scientists, 2nd Edition
Statistical methods are a key part of data science, yet few data scientists have formal statistical …
The Data Warehouse Toolkit: The Definitive Guide to Dimensional Modeling, 3rd Edition
Updated new edition of Ralph Kimball's groundbreaking book on dimensional modeling for data warehousing and business …
Definitive Guide to DAX, The: Business intelligence for Microsoft Power BI, SQL Server Analysis Services, and Excel, 2nd Edition
Now expanded and updated with modern best practices, this is the most complete guide to Microsoft's …