There is always a discussion among integration experts with regards to which one is better: SOAP or REST. How do they compare? The following list highlights some of the comparisons between SOAP and REST:
- SOAP is a protocol, while REST is an architectural style.
- SOAP defines standards to be strictly followed, while REST doesn't define too many standards.
- SOAP requires more bandwidth and resources than REST.
- SOAP defines its own security; RESTful web services inherit security measures from the underlying transport layer.
- SOAP permits the XML data format only; REST permits different data formats, such as plain text, HTML, XML, and JSON.
In summary, REST is lighter and simpler for integration, especially with cloud web applications. ...