One of the simplest ways to limit access to website material is to restrict access to a specific group of users, based on IP addresses or hostnames. Apache uses the
deny directives to accomplish this.
Both directives take an address expression as a parameter. The following list provides the possible values and use of the address expression:
• All can be used to affect all hosts.
• A hostname or domain name, which can either be a partially or a fully qualified domain name; for example,
• An IP address, which can be either full or partial; for example,
• A network/netmask pair, such as
• A network address specified ...