Some larger organizations will have existing investments in Lync- or communicator-based solutions for unified communications. Likewise, if you have specific needs that can't be met by the capabilities of Skype for Business in the cloud, then you may need to deploy on-premise equipment. In both of these cases, it makes sense to configure hybrid configuration so that each system knows about the other and they can work together in harmony.
To set up a hybrid configuration, you'll need the following first:
- An Office 365 tenant with Skype for Business Online enabled
- Global administrator rights
- Access to DNS configuration
- Synchronized passwords via AD Connect
- On-premise Skype for Business Server 2015, Lync Server 2013, ...