World-class IT leadership solutions from working CIOs: detailed, realistic, proven
Every year, IT leadership becomes more challenging. Don't go it alone. Get practical help from the people who know what you're up against, and know what works: your most successful peers. In CIO Wisdom II, more than a dozen of today's leading CIOs share specific, realistic, up-to-the-minute techniques for maximizing agility, cost-effectiveness, and business value. You'll find solutions for managing both the internal and external forces impacting IT, and for dealing with more than 20 of your toughest issues -- business, technical, and human. You'll find specific, realistic approaches to everything from architecture to outsourcing, new technology selection to governance. CIO Wisdom II: it's more valuable than your last consultant -- and a whole lot more cost-effective.
Anticipating the next transformation in your role as CIO -- and getting ahead of the curve
Delivering real-time, mission-critical business intelligence: lessons from the military
Integrating the enterprise: New best practices and cost-effective technical options
Quantifying and maximizing software return on investment
Mastering five crucial lessons for successful IT outsourcing
Managing outsourced environments for maximum responsiveness, flexibility, and efficiency
Leveraging the value of open source -- and minimizing its risks
Using IT to improve business processes -- and improving your own internal processes, including procurement
Systematically securing your IT facilities
Achieving compliance -- and leveraging those investments for competitive advantage
Previewing tomorrow's key trends in information management
© Copyright Pearson Education. All rights reserved.
Table of contents
- HARRIS KERN'S ENTERPRISE COMPUTING INSTITUTE
- About the Authors
What Makes a CIO Tick?
- The Changing Role of the CIO
- Scope of the CIO
- It's All About the Marketing
- Creating a Community of Practice for CIOs
Hardware And Software Technology
- Securing the IT Facility
- Running Business-Critical Applications Over the Internet: “The Middle Mile”
- Information Management: What's Next?
- Enterprise Integration: Methods and Technologies
- Toward Collaborative Supply Chains Using RFID
- Real-Time, Mission-Critical Business Intelligence: Lessons from the Military and Intelligence Community
- Software Return on Investment (ROI)
- Starting with the Users
- Business Process Improvement
- The Five Ws of IT Outsourcing
- Outsourced Environments
Enterprise Information Architecture
- Enterprise Information Nomenclature
- How Did We Actually Get Here?
- What Can a Company Hope to Accomplish with an EIA Effort?
- What Are the Typical Triggers for an EIA Project?
- How Do Companies Typically Get Started in Their EIA Efforts?
- Can an EIA Really Be Implemented?
- Possible Views of Approaches and Resulting Trade-Offs
- How Do We Start an EIA Effort?
- Adaptive and Aware: Strategy, Architecture, and IT Leadership in an Age of Commoditization
- Open Source: Time for a Plan
- IT Governance: Toward a Unified Framework Linked to and Driven by Corporate Governance
Navigating the IT Procurement and Outsourcing Process
- Scope Documents and Statements of Work
- Warranties and Performance Standards
- Documenting Key Assumptions
- Compensation Structure
- Monitoring and Demonstrating Work and Progress
- Change Orders and Claims for Extra Work and Delay
- Disaster Planning and Recovery
- Exit Strategies and Transition Plans
- Trade Secrets and Other Intellectual Property
- Key Employees, Restrictive Covenants, and Nondisclosure Agreements
- Liquidated Damages Provisions and Limitations on Liability
- Dispute Resolution, Choice of Law and Choice of Forum
- Title: CIO Wisdom II: More Best Practices
- Release date: October 2005
- Publisher(s): Pearson
- ISBN: 9780131855892
You might also like
Practical Cloud Security
With their rapidly changing architecture and API-driven automation, cloud platforms come with unique security challenges and …
Infrastructure as Code, 2nd Edition
Six years ago, Infrastructure as Code was a new concept. Today, as even banks and other …
Building Microservices, 2nd Edition
As organizations shift from monolithic applications to smaller, self-contained microservices, distributed systems have become more fine-grained. …
Data Center Handbook, 2nd Edition
DATA CENTER HANDBOOK Written by 59 experts and reviewed by a seasoned technical advisory board, the …