Charging for Actual Time and Costs
If you charge a customer for actual costs and hours, you need to track the costs and time when you incur the charges for them. You assign the cost to the job by entering the customer and job information into the Customer:Job column that’s shown in the form window used to record a particular cost or time charge. For example, if you use the Enter Bills window (read Chapter 6) to record a bill for a particular job, you use the Customer:Job column to designate the job.
To charge a customer for costs or time that you recorded, follow these steps:
1. Choose Customers⇒Create Invoices to open the Create Invoices window.
2. Change the name in the Customer:Job drop-down list to the proper customer.
This step is easy: Activate the drop-down list and choose the appropriate customer and job. If you assigned time or costs to this customer, a screen pops up, asking you to click the Time/Costs button to include the charges in your invoice.
3. Click the Add Time/Costs button.
QuickBooks displays the Choose Billable Time and Costs dialog box. The dialog box already shows the costs and time charges that you assigned to this customer and job combination.
4. Select the billable time and costs that you want to add to the invoice.
Check the time charges and costs that you want to bill for. Note that the Choose Billable Time and Costs dialog box provides different tabs for Items, Expenses, and Mileage.
5. (Optional, Expenses only) Indicate the markup.
The Expenses ...