Figure 14-1: The Smash- words sign-up form.
Creating Your Smashwords Account
Before you can add your e-book to Smashwords, you have to open an account. To create yours, follow these steps:
1. Go to
You should see the Smashwords sign-up form, shown in Figure 14-1.
2. Fill in these areas of the form:
• E-Mail Address: Enter an address that you have access to. Double-check to ensure that you’ve typed it correctly —Smashwords sends an e-mail to this address so that you can activate your account.
• Choose a Screen Name: Supply your real name, your pen name, or your publisher name.
• Password and Password Confirmation: Choose a strong password that someone can’t easily guess.
• First Name, Last Name: The names you enter for these options appear on your profile page and the individual pages for your e-book(s) on the Smashwords site. You can use a pen name, if you want.
• Age: Select the correct radio button for your age.
• Location: Select your country from the drop-down list.
• (Optional) Mention how you heard about Smashwords.
3. After the form is complete, click the Sign Up! button.
You see a page labeled Important Final Registration Step with instructions for confirming your account. (You also receive an e-mail with a link to click.) If you’ve typed your e-mail address incorrectly, contact Smashwords to ask them to change it.
4. Follow ...